• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WINE network windows drive question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberFed

Hey heres the deal i wanna run a certain "p2p" program in linux using wine, however i know that wine requires the program to reside on a windows partion, my machine doesnt have one, however i can access and manipulate my roommates xp machine using samba. So can i use this network drive to have him share the p2p prog and then WINE will be happy?

Why does it need to be on a Windows partition?

Yes, you can share the program directory, mount the share, and then use wine to run the executable.

From my understanding Wine does not actually require a Windows partition of any kind to work.

I've run Windows programs that reside on native Linux filesystems under Wine. They are also able to read and write from the filesystems I've set up in my ~/.wine/config, which includes Linux native filesystems, FAT32, and samba shares.

Have you tried running the program in question from a Linux native filesystem?

No, Wine will create a directory for the software that it runs. It's usually located in ~/.wine/fake_windows/

Wine doesn't need any existing Windows installation or access in order to work.

-DarkArctic

Wine and/or WineX should create a spot on your linux filesystem to install Windows programs to. The capability of running Windows apps from a mounted NTFS or FAT32 partition is there, but not required for Wine/X to work.

ex. my "Windows" installation is at /c

can also exist mounted basically anywhere your user has adequate permissions to and is configurable via the ~/.wine/config file.

But I think most people have already stated this above. (I just summed it up nice. ;) )

ok i got the fake filesystem installed, i got the p2p installed on the fake drive, but i still cant get it to execute, keeps giveing me a dll error i think, even though i added the dll's to the fake windows and windows//system folders...anyone have any clues or someone who could help me pmme

Firstly, you are aware that there are many Linux native P2P programs? Chances are, installation and use of one of those programs will be easier than using Wine.

What program are you trying to use? For many popular programs, you'll probably be able to find HOWTOs regarding their use under Wine, by sea rching the internet. There is also the wine application database (which you can find at www.winehq.com ) may help you with a specific application.

Do note that Wine is not a finished product, and many programs simply do not run under it. If that turns out to be the case for your program, I suggest looking into the native Linux programs that serve a similar purpse.

I hope you aren't going to use this P2P program to warez Windows apps.

i've talked to alot of people who run linux and they all agree that most p2p's for linux are slow, and dont produce very many results, i've been on winehq's application database and i know it'll run and i've been tinkering with the dlls needed, im close it semi loads now...

not using it for programs using it for music. yep im one of those evil people who download mp3s...oh well

You mean there are p2p networks that aren't slow and crappy? I've never heard of such things, seemed like an oxymoron.

Back