• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinTen v1709 Creator's Update hosed F@H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert17

Premium Member
Couple of things: I noticed that "updates are available" and have them set to fully manual so opened the update center and saw that Defender had a profile update so clicked 'download and install'. Which it did. Then WinTen proceeded to download and install the Creator's Update v1709 (when I started the Defender profile download I went to the restroom, then kitchen to download and install a cup of coffee, then went outside to pick up the overnight pecan drop, so it was several minutes).

Came back in to the download being 17% complete, so let it go. After the update and install, about 2-1/2 hours (6MB/s downstream), I uninstalled F@H including data after I got the error 'OpenCL.dll missing", reinstalled and still nada. Twice. Kinda lumped here. It doesn't appear that the NVidia drivers I've been folding on were changed. Any ideas?

roll back to previous build?

Nothing to with folding, but that's what I did a couple of days ago after having noticed that fps dropped in all my games.

Couple of things: I noticed that "updates are available" and have them set to fully manual so opened the update center and saw that Defender had a profile update so clicked 'download and install'. Which it did. Then WinTen proceeded to download and install the Creator's Update v1709 (when I started the Defender profile download I went to the restroom, then kitchen to download and install a cup of coffee, then went outside to pick up the overnight pecan drop, so it was several minutes).

Came back in to the download being 17% complete, so let it go. After the update and install, about 2-1/2 hours (6MB/s downstream), I uninstalled F@H including data after I got the error 'OpenCL.dll missing", reinstalled and still nada. Twice. Kinda lumped here. It doesn't appear that the NVidia drivers I've been folding on were changed. Any ideas?

Reinstall Nvidia drivers it will fix the "OpenCL.dll missing" i had this same problem after an update and it fixed it for me

Thanks guys. I uninstalled the NVidia drivers, probably while y'all were typing, and installed the latest 388.00 driver. All is well. Cancel the calvary.

This is why I have updates disabled and group polices changed so I won't get any updates, MS will wipe out manufactures hardware drivers with their generic hardware drivers that sucks big time.

I am so close to wiping all my Win 10 PC's and putting Win 7 on them, I'm tired of fighting Win 10 updates to keep my GPU drivers from getting changed.

I've found that Server 16 will nag you but never forcibly make you accept an update, FYI.

Now I'm really @%^%^$# off, 1 of my Win 10 PC's got Win 10 Creator push through and now the driver for my M570 trackball won't run, and if I double click on the program I get a Side by Side configuration error. If I don't find a way to fix this, Win 7 is going on that PC, that or Linux.

edit: I have now installed Win 7 on this ^^ PC, no more Win 10

Last edited:
Now I'm really @%^%^$# off, 1 of my Win 10 PC's got Win 10 Creator push through and now the driver for my M570 trackball won't run, and if I double click on the program I get a Side by Side configuration error. If I don't find a way to fix this, Win 7 is going on that PC, that or Linux.

Paste these in a cmd box with elevated privilege and you will never be asked to update again in win10.

Code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
takeown /F MusNotification.exe
icacls MusNotification.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
takeown /F MusNotificationUx.exe
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
rem

Paste these in a cmd box with elevated privilege and you will never be asked to update again in win10.

Code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
takeown /F MusNotification.exe
icacls MusNotification.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
takeown /F MusNotificationUx.exe
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
rem

All 6 lines or just the top 5?

Back