• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED wireless networking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

banshee43

Registered
youll have to excuse me for the mundane nature of the question but i have exhausted all other outlets..... dont hate me but ive been a mac guy my wholeeeee life, 21 years, but finally converted :D anywho i cannot for the life of me set up connect to the internet through wireless. do i need another piece of equipment? :shrug: Ethernet works just fine but id like the ability to go wireless

you just need a wireless network adapter and drivers for it installed in your pc.
and a wireless router broadcasting your wifi.
once thats done you should have a little icon in the bottom right of your task panel for wifi
just click it and select your wifi name and enter passwords and should be good to go.

ok so im guessing i dont have a wireless network adapter unless there would be one installed on my mobo would this be it "1394 Net Adapter". as for router ive just moved into some new apartments for school and there is a free internet on the front it says Merlot wireless lapjack 2... gunna get a new internet soon through someone else..

ok so im guessing i dont have a wireless network adapter unless there would be one installed on my mobo would this be it "1394 Net Adapter". as for router ive just moved into some new apartments for school and there is a free internet on the front it says Merlot wireless lapjack 2... gunna get a new internet soon through someone else..

1394 net adapter is a firewire connection (like USB, but different)

Your computer needs to have a wireless networking adapter in it to go wireless. If this is a modern laptop, it should have one already. If it is a desktop then it is unlikely to have a wireless adapter built in. But they are cheap and easy to get at wal-mart/best buy/ whatever

tell us the make and model of your computer for further help.

ok forsure... also i need to transfer all my files from my mac laptop to my new pc desktop any suggestions??
OHHH GOTCHA its a custom build intel style... how do you get that bottom signature??
2500k 3*3.3 GHZ, GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3, GSI 560 Ti

a usb thumb drive/external drive using FAT32 format as the mac wont pick up a NTFS formatted drive.
for the sig just go up to "quick links" and select "edit signature"

a usb thumb drive/external drive using FAT32 format as the mac wont pick up a NTFS formatted drive.
for the sig just go up to "quick links" and select "edit signature"

i think my HDD is FAT32. so they sell both formats for usb?

you can just reformat anything you get to fat32, also if you buy one that says its mac/pc compatible it will already be fat32,
if it just says for pc with will be NTFS but you can reformat it to anything in windows.

Back