• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worth it to buy it and delid it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have been offered a deal on another 4790K cpu.
it runs [email protected] and reaches 90c on the hottest core under P95, the coolest core is around 80.
I think this is just prime for a delid.
he is asking $150 + some stuff from my junk pile that I have not used in about a year and no plans for the stuff either.
the stuff he's asking for I value at around $50.00 so $200 is what he's asking.
I have 24 hours to click the buy button.
I have three top of the line boards with dc chips in them and am thinking I should.
votes and opinions please.

Well CD, so long as you don't "accidentally" kill it while popping the top as you have a cemetary full of past casualties, and you think it's worth it for what you want it to do, then I vote go for it ;)

Just don't let the Sugar Bee find out! :eek:

I've de-lidded 2 3770k and 2 4790k's with a razor blade and it always went smooth: as soon as you start with the corners (about 3mm inside) and gently rotate the blade to the parallel of the IHS, you will be good. Do that with all 4 corners and the lid will just detach without issue.

I'm a liitle ham fisted and hate to wait, I always mean to start with the razor but that hammer just loves the feel of my warm hand around it...........
I do think it's worth the deal either way, do you?

Considering you are at the limit of what most say to stop (I say 1.4V or so), I would say not really... unless its for benching and better than what you have? No idea... but 1.35V at 4.9 GHz doesn't scream DELID! to me...

If you go through with it, or just want to use it on something else, I have a delid tool I am happy to send around for shipping. LMK if you need it. I should have it back in a few days. :)

I clicked the button so it will be here in a day or two.
earthdog, if you'll ship me the tool when it gets back to you and let me know what the shipping is please.

and I do bench, for max, stable, usable clocks, I post in the overclocktagon once in a while.
hbot points have no meaning to me, right now 3d modeling is part of my computer hobby so making a rig the best it can be at making the model and then rendering the scene or video is what it's about for me.
it's more challenge than most people think, a single frame scene can take a few hours to render and a few second animation can take a few days to render and conditions in the room can vary quite a bit as can the load on the machine while making the scene. My rendering rig is also my bees face book rig and it's installed upstairs in her sewing room and my home office is downstairs so I operate it remotely from there and my office across town and that keeps me learning all the time.

Last edited:
I clicked the button so it will be here in a day or two.
earthdog, if you'll ship me the tool when it gets back to you and let me know what the shipping is please.

and I do bench, for max, stable, usable clocks, I post in the overclocktagon once in a while.
hbot points have no meaning to me, right now 3d modeling is part of my computer hobby so making a rig the best it can be at making the model and then rendering the scene or video is what it's about for me.
it's more challenge than most people think, a single frame scene can take a few hours to render and a few second animation can take a few days to render and conditions in the room can vary quite a bit as can the load on the machine while making the scene. My rendering rig is also my bees face book rig and it's installed upstairs in her sewing room and my home office is downstairs so I operate it remotely from there and my office across town and that keeps me learning all the time.

The 4790k does very well in this domain: with a 4.8GHz OC, you'll be around 1000pts in CB R15. You could use both simultaneously!

the 4790K does very well at modeling but is limited in rendering, 4c/8t is just not enough once you get out over an 2 minute scene, at that point my 6c/12t 6800K leads the way for what I have in the house but 10c/20t would be even better.
what I run into is memory volume, gpus are very much faster but limited in memory and it has to fit in the memory in blender so if it gets near the limits of the memory I have to break it up into two or three renders over two or three machines then combine all the single frames into one file, in proper order then combine all those into a single video, and 30 seconds at 30 fps is a bunch of frames to keep organized. one of the fun things is to remove one or two frames and replace them with one or two that are not related and see if the little bee can catch them, in one I inserted 3 frames of her grandson and when she caught it, it made her smile one smile that went 2 times around her face.

the 4790K does very well at modeling but is limited in rendering, 4c/8t is just not enough once you get out over an 2 minute scene, at that point my 6c/12t 6800K leads the way for what I have in the house but 10c/20t would be even better.
what I run into is memory volume, gpus are very much faster but limited in memory and it has to fit in the memory in blender so if it gets near the limits of the memory I have to break it up into two or three renders over two or three machines then combine all the single frames into one file, in proper order then combine all those into a single video, and 30 seconds at 30 fps is a bunch of frames to keep organized. one of the fun things is to remove one or two frames and replace them with one or two that are not related and see if the little bee can catch them, in one I inserted 3 frames of her grandson and when she caught it, it made her smile one smile that went 2 times around her face.

That's a good one!

You might be able to find a 6950X on the cheap, with the 7900X worth "only" a grand.

If I get in a big hurry I just transfer it to the shop rig, what my home rigs do in a day it can render in minutes and if Jatti has it tied up I can just send it to a renderfarm but, this is just for schooling and entertaining me.

it's here, now i just have to wait on a deliding tool, kind of like a 5 year old waits for Christmas.....

HOLLY COW!!!!!!!!!
this Asrock z97oc formula is monster, bad ***, if it were a person it might be Gawdzirra, John Wayne and Steve McQueen rolled into one!!!!!!!
playing with the 4690K easy benching at 4.8.
with the 4790K as delivered, 5.0 without even having to think about it, it almost does it by itself!!!!!!

^Indeed!

Used to have the z97OCF-M. Not as many features as the z87OCF-M, but a damn good board.

Actually, I have never been disappointed by any Asrock board, and I got quite a few!

Back