• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would the new Thermalright AX-7 w/Delta 48CFM fan be good for this set-up??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vtec96

After deciding on the Thermalright AX-7 from all of the reviews, and hearing the stories about the loud noises from the 80CFM Delta fans, I think I have found the best of both worlds.... One of the BEST Heat Sinks and the Quietest of the Delta fans:cool:

I will have an Antec-type case with 4 Sunon 80mm case fans.
Abit KR7A-133 MB w/1.4 T-Bird cpu. Will slowly start to OC hopefully up to around 1.5 ......

Will this HSF set-up allow proper cooling under full-load conditions? I was previously going for the Swift-tech, but this seems to be just as good or better, and cheaper....

Thanks for the help...

if your only O/Cing about 100mhz the stock heatsink that came with the chip would even be sufficent...but yes the AX-7 would do a great job

Spec

The 1.4GHz Thunderbird puts out a lot of heat. The stock cooler will be in no way suffucient to cool that down within respectable levels. If there is one thing that you want to do then that is overkill on aircooling. The better choice for your situation would be to buy the strongest 80mm Delta Fan that you can afford then run it with a rheostat. That will give you the option to slow down or speed up the fan depending on how much noise you can take.

sonny said:
The 1.4GHz Thunderbird puts out a lot of heat. The stock cooler will be in no way suffucient to cool that down within respectable levels. If there is one thing that you want to do then that is overkill on aircooling. The better choice for your situation would be to buy the strongest 80mm Delta Fan that you can afford then run it with a rheostat. That will give you the option to slow down or speed up the fan depending on how much noise you can take.
sonny....I was thinking about the rheostat but I read that its not recomended (at least theirs) for the 80cfm fan since it takes soo much power! The price is about the same with the low or high output, so the only issue is the noise....

Also would this HSF be good enough for a 2000+ that is NOT O/C'd?

They were probably worried about heating up the rheo so you can get a switch to alternate it from 5V,7V & 12V. Not a lot of choices but enough to get you thru. The AX7 will be good enough to say the least for the XP2000+ even if you O/C it.

As an owner of both the Swiftech MC462 and Alpha 8045, I can tell you that there isn't much difference in cooling between the two. They both work very well on cooling a 1.2 t-bird that is o/c'ed to 1.4 at 1.8 volts. You can probably use the 48 cfm focused flow Delta fan with only a degree or 2 of difference between it and the 68 cfm Delta that I'm using. You could also run the 68 cfm Delta @ 7 volts and it should be very quiet. Millisec.com is selling bare-lead 68 cfm Delta fans for $9.50 right now. They are going out of business but I've bought from them in the past with no problems.

Back