• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow... major temp drop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheBrewmaster

Registered
Never thought a case could make so much difference.

I was using a mid-tower case with not a lot of room inside. It's the smallest case that I think can still be called a mid-tower. It had the power supply turned sideways and was placed next to the ATX outlets on the back of the case. My 1G T-bird would normally run around 29 C idle, and jump up to 55 or more under full load.

I got a full-tower case now, with a 300 watt power supply (was previously using a 250), and lots of breathing room. There's an intake fan on the bottom of the front, an exhaust fan on the top of the back, a slot-exhaust-fan under my video card (which I had before), and the power supply is almost completely open on the bottom.

Just played a long bout of Counter-Strike and the CPU only went up to about 38 C.

That's a drop of almost 20 degrees C! So a word of advice to people having cooling problems. Take your case into consideration. Your CPU can only get as cool as the air around it, so bad airflow means heat buildup.

-TB

Ok, I take it back.. max temp now seems to be 44. However, I still consider 10+ degrees to be a significant drop just due to case. Just keepin' my story straight :)

-TB

I changed the fans in my tower server case to faster ones and got a 5 degree improvement in cpu temps. I stay within 1 degree of ambient all the time now.

yup, but full towers are damn expensive!! that's the next upgrade on my list, when i next get some cash... just upgraded my minidisc recorder so i'm flat broke!

proze (Feb 20, 2001 11:53 a.m.):
yup, but full towers are damn expensive!! that's the next upgrade on my list, when i next get some cash... just upgraded my minidisc recorder so i'm flat broke!
.. Proze, if you don't mind trying eBay, you can pick up "purple button" full towers w/300w PSUs for between $35 and $50 bucks. They aren't the greatest cases int he world, but the cooling layout and drive bays make them a hell of a deal.

geez man I like the purple button cases .roomy and cheap!! and they used to come with 300w Deer PSU's ..I used to know who made them ,but cant remember right now

stool (Feb 21, 2001 12:46 a.m.):
proze (Feb 20, 2001 11:53 a.m.):
.. Proze, if you don't mind trying eBay, you can pick up "purple button" full towers w/300w PSUs for between $35 and $50 bucks. They aren't the greatest cases int he world, but the cooling layout and drive bays make them a hell of a deal.

lol!! i would love to, but i don't think anyone would be willing to send a $35 case all the way to south africa!! :)

Back