• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x850 pro vs 6800 gt (both agp)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slowpoke68

Registered
Hello all. Currently I have a 6800gt agp and ordered an x850 pro agp from newegg. Just wondering if the performance increase will be worth the 140 bucks I spent on the card? Hard to make out from tom's and such because you are never sure if it is pci or agp they are talking about when comparing cards. I did get a vivo model which I understand has a much higher chance of being unlocked.

Anyway looking for input, if it is a waste I guess I could rma it and in that case am looking for suggestions for a nice upgrade without switching to pci.

Thanks.

AGP and PCI-E should perform nearly the same. The chances of getting a new unlockable x850pro are very slim. A 6800gt overclocked is pretty good for AGP, there are a few that are marginally better (7800gs, 7600gt) but nothing spectular. ATi is supposed to be releasing an x1950Pro in AGP, it's about the same as a 7900gs performance-wise and imo is the only worthwhile upgrade for a new AGP card from what you've already got. The other option is to scout around ebay and forums for a used unlocked x8xx series.

Really depends on your processor, i had a socket 478 p4 3ghz w/ 9800 pro and when i switched to a x800gto, i got very little performance increase, and defintely not worth the 180 i upgraded for.

Did you get the card in Slowpoke68? Just wanted to know what your results were :) Was thinking of upgrading from a 9800Pro 128.

Back