• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x99 worth the investment? vs x87

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eddyg519

Hey guys Ive been thinking lots about upgrading my system. Im debating on investing in x99 but im wondering for what I use my system for (F@H and super light gaming.... CS 1.6... lol!) is it worth it to get invest in ddr4 and all that?

ive been poking around and ultimately I can afford to run two or three 980's the thing is if i stick to x87 i can reuse my ram which is a small bonus.

I do like the idea of future proofing the rig tho!

heres the bundle im looking at on tigerdirect:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9178830&CatId=11498

or just grab this?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8522317&CatId=11498

my LAST question is would i even be able to run four 980s off the x99 board posted above? i know performance scaling in SLI is downright terrible with even a third card does that apply for F@H? (CS 1.6 im not worried about hahahahah)

Happy newyears!

- eddy

Both Z87 and X99 (and other boards since P67) have been able to run up to 4 cards, that more depends on the motherboard than the chipset, as sometimes they had to add additional PCI-Lane controllers to allow faster through-put.

Ultimately I guess it depends on what you want to spend, I personally would go with the Z87 and call it a day, saved yourself a pretty penny for something that you will hardly ever use.

Oh and to answer your question about scaling, that shouldn't be an issue for F@H as all of the cards should keep up about the same PPD.

There are numerous reasons why both ideas are ludicrous for your uses.

X99 is out because it's absolute overkill. You have no use for it.

Z87 should also be out because it's from 2013, doesn't support modern storage solutions (M.2/Sata Express), and doesn't support upcoming Broadwell processors.

Also, that bundle is idiotic because that motherboard is an extreme-overclocking motherboard and it's bundled with a locked CPU. Whoever made that bundle should be shot.

You don't need to spend that much money.

Pick up a 4690K and a cheap Z97 (not 87) motherboard like an ASRock Extreme3.

Back