• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xbox 360 mouse + keyboard, ever going to happen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Hi guys,

Well I love the Xbox 360 with the new 40" but I'm a big FPS fan, but I just can't seem to get into games when I'm on the console because of the controller.

I probably have extra issues though because my left hand isn't as coordinated as my right due to breaking my neck a few years back it messed up some of the nerves in that hand.

After doing some googling, it seems xbox players are against mouse and keyboard support.

I just always thought using mouse and keyboard on a xbox would be more accessible but I now see very few if any games support it.

What are your thoughts? Are mouse and keyboard probably never going to be mainstream on the xbox?

The game i'm playing right now is Battlefield bad company.

EDIT:
I just found out about XFPS and XIM2, they are suppose to map the xbox controller to a mouse and keyboard, sounds pretty neat and is pretty expensive.
ANyone have any experience with this? I"ve heard mixed reviews, one guy said it lags like hell the others say its very smooth.

Last edited:
There waas a thread on it a while back, the consensus were that they suck. Both the 360 and the PS3 natively support keyboard and mouse interfaces but the software developers choose purposely not to implement them which is fine with me as I like the controller better anyway. :D Most console gamers don't want to get into the hassles you have with PC games ie: one player having an ultra high-rez mouse vs another with a $10 mouse..... everybody is on the level when using a controller which is how it should be. Who wants to buy a $100+ F@t1l1ty mouse for the 360 just so they can pwn people in COD4? Not me.

Most console gamers don't want to get into the hassles you have with PC games ie: one player having an ultra high-rez mouse vs another with a $10 mouse..... everybody is on the level when using a controller which is how it should be.
Well there are hacked 360 controllers with rapid-fire, so it's not completely safe. Still as you pointed out, keyboard/mouse will have a lot more advantage in FPSs over a controller even with rapid-fire.

Most console gamers don't want to get into the hassles you have with PC games ie: one player having an ultra high-rez mouse vs another with a $10 mouse..... everybody is on the level when using a controller which is how it should be. Who wants to buy a $100+ F@t1l1ty mouse for the 360 just so they can pwn people in COD4? Not me.

You communist!

I get the idea. I am conflicted though, I have Halo 3 and I enjoy it. But I really have a hard time getting into the multiplayer unless my brothers are over or I am at my friends house.

No matter how long I play I just cant get used to the idea of playing an FPS without a mouse and keyboard.

Its a split field, I prefer the controller. When I game I want to lay back on the couch and relax, not hunch over a keyboard and mouse. But I am a recreational gamer, not nearly as competitive as most, except when it comes to Forza.

Its a split field, I prefer the controller. When I game I want to lay back on the couch and relax, not hunch over a keyboard and mouse. But I am a recreational gamer, not nearly as competitive as most, except when it comes to Forza.

Like you I usually like to kick back on the couch with a controller for pretty much any game that doesn't require precise aiming, but FPSs just demand mouse and keyboard. :D

There waas a thread on it a while back, the consensus were that they suck. Both the 360 and the PS3 natively support keyboard and mouse interfaces but the software developers choose purposely not to implement them which is fine with me as I like the controller better anyway. :D Most console gamers don't want to get into the hassles you have with PC games ie: one player having an ultra high-rez mouse vs another with a $10 mouse..... everybody is on the level when using a controller which is how it should be. Who wants to buy a $100+ F@t1l1ty mouse for the 360 just so they can pwn people in COD4? Not me.

There is certainly not a hassle with PC games of having to have the best mouse and keyboard to be competitive in FPS. Unless, of course, you believe marketing hype. In that case, sure, go spend loads of money.

As soon as they provide keyboard/mouse support to console FPS, that's when I'll make the switch and use consoles for something other than third-person platform games. Controllers are just inferior for controlling an FPS game that requires that level of precision, and even though I've tried countless times to adapt it just still feels awkward to me. Give me a cheap $20 Logitech wired keyboard/mouse combo and I'll utterly eradicate someone using a 360 controller.

yah I think I'm going to get that mod that lets you play mouse and keyboard, even though it may suck, it has to be better than me playing on a controller. I saw some videos and it looked like it worked great in HALO3/COD4 on xbox360

I'll wait for x-mas though, I'll ask the parents to buy it for me, :p
Wow check this video footage out, Looks like the XIM2 is the one Ill get if it realy does perform like that:

Last edited:
You communist!

I get the idea. I am conflicted though, I have Halo 3 and I enjoy it. But I really have a hard time getting into the multiplayer unless my brothers are over or I am at my friends house.

No matter how long I play I just cant get used to the idea of playing an FPS without a mouse and keyboard.

Da Comrade! Perhaps you lazy Americans are not skilled enough to play FPS with controller. In Mother Russia, you don't play controller, controller plays you!

No seriously though, whether it be COD4, Oblivion, GTA4, Gears of War or whathaveyou, I have never had any issues with aiming that would warrant me NEEDING a mouse. I don't even like using a mouse in games unless it is Leisure Suit Larry or something like that.

Last edited:
LOL, it was funny, my friend is a big xbox player (he plays all the FPS) and I was showing him how I play COD4 on the PC and he said, is there some sort of glitch or bug in this game? you can't see what your aiming at because its too sensitive, I was like no...that's how fast you aim with a mouse. (I use a MX518 jacked all the way up).

HIS MIND WAS BLOWN. lol

Buy the XFPS 360.

Buy and assemble one of these to attach to it: http://xim360.com/

Proceeed to kick *** in any games you play. I have a friend with one and using the two devices and a bluetooth dongle we were even playing xbox games with a wiimote.

PC games kinda got old to me but using a controller on a console has instilled new interest in video games for me. I was really good with mouse/keyboard but am absolutely TERRIBLE with a controller. It's something completely new to me and that's what makes it fun (and extremely aggravating)

I'm going to wait till the XIM2 comes out, right now its in beta, and I can't sodder even if they do send the kits out. So i'll pay someone to make it for me if they take awhile to get the pre-made XIm2 controllers shipped out.

I'm going to wait till the XIM2 comes out, right now its in beta, and I can't sodder even if they do send the kits out. So i'll pay someone to make it for me if they take awhile to get the pre-made XIm2 controllers shipped out.

That's a good find. I'm going to keep my eye on that, if it actually works I'd consider giving it a go. I love platformers, but would only ever consider playing a console FPS if I could use a keyboard/mouse (or Nostromo/mouse, whatever).

I'm in the same boat as you Techno, I'll never get used to the 2 joystick method even though it is extremely viable and can be played at a very high competative level. My favorite controller was the N64 controller for FPS, goldeneye!

I don't think a joystick can ever replace a mouse though, my 2 cents.

hah i'm in, even though it might be dangerous, can players boot us from a game if enough vote? I know if someone see's XIM2 in a profile name they will get jacked and probably leave if they are getting owned

Back