• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 5870 remorses...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just a nickname

Hey!

Bought awhile ago a 5870 model number: HD-587X-ZNFV. Was the cheapest, got it for like 380 CA$, but it looks like this model cannot support any voltage adjustment even with unlocked BIOs :temper:

Anyway... I've overclocked it to the CCC limits (900/1300) into MSI and ran Mark06 and Vantage in Extreme (GPU tests) and no problem... So I am wondering if these tests are good to seek any unstability as most users (from what I've read) tend to get unstable GPU after 875MHz before increasing voltage.

Also, I am wondering what is the highest possible clock limit with stock voltage? Is it possible to go above 900?

Last but not least question: which program do you use to read the result files of FutureMark 06/Vantage (got the paid version).

Thank a lot for any answers!

Just read on this forum that 950 was possible with stock voltage, but the BIOs limits the clock speed to 900MHz. Do I absolutly need to flash to unlocked BIOs even for that or there's a way to overpass that limit?

Hey!

Bought awhile ago a 5870 model number: HD-587X-ZNFV. Was the cheapest, got it for like 380 CA$, but it looks like this model cannot support any voltage adjustment even with unlocked BIOs :temper:

Anyway... I've overclocked it to the CCC limits (900/1300) into MSI and ran Mark06 and Vantage in Extreme (GPU tests) and no problem... So I am wondering if these tests are good to seek any unstability as most users (from what I've read) tend to get unstable GPU after 875MHz before increasing voltage.

Also, I am wondering what is the highest possible clock limit with stock voltage? Is it possible to go above 900?

Last but not least question: which program do you use to read the result files of FutureMark 06/Vantage (got the paid version).

Thank a lot for any answers!

There is no real answer to your question. You cant say "this is a maximum overclock for this card". Each card is made the same, with the same parts but not all parts will run the same. They are all tested to run stable on stock speeds but that is about it. Cards made even from the same batch will have different overclocking potential.

All i can say is that if your not getting any crashes or artifacts while using the card then you should be safe. Just keep your eye on temps while overclocking. I also would recommend overclocking one thing at a time. First your GPU speeds then your ram.

O and last but not least :welcome: to OCs

Stop using CCC first off :)

Go get MSI Afterburner. I dont think most XFX cards support voltage control, but if yours does, you can adjust voltage in MSI's tool. Also, itll raise the limits for your clocks.

Stop using CCC first off :)

Go get MSI Afterburner. I dont think most XFX cards support voltage control, but if yours does, you can adjust voltage in MSI's tool. Also, itll raise the limits for your clocks.

Thank for the replies!

I am using MSI... I just said that I reached via MSI the CCC limit.
When I try to go for a clock higher than 900, MSI keeps bringing me to the previous applied value! Edit: I guess it's because of the current BIOs...

@soul: I was just wondering what is a "normal" or common value that should be reached by most 5870 models without any voltage adjustement. I just dislike to try a lot of value and then realise that I was able to go higher and faster!

Still seeking answer: what do you use to read FutureMark files?
Which program do you use to test stability?

I am using MSI... I just said that I reached via MSI the CCC limit.
When I try to go for a clock higher than 900, MSI keeps bringing me to the previous applied value! Edit: I guess it's because of the current BIOs...

Go into your MSI afterburner file and look for "MSIAfterburner.cfg" and at the bottom change "EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0" to "EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1"

@soul: I was just wondering what is a "normal" or common value that should be reached by most 5870 models without any voltage adjustement. I just dislike to try a lot of value and then realise that I was able to go higher and faster!

While, as has been said, it is difficult to define normal but before I volt modded mine I was able to get mine to 950 MHz but it was touchy at times not what I would call 100% stable.

Still seeking answer: what do you use to read FutureMark files?

The only way I know of is to upload the file using whatever 3DMark it came from.

Which program do you use to test stability?

A combination of Furmark and games, focusing more on games, I have found to be the best. I have had OC's that can seem stable in stress tests but crash in games.

Done! Wow thanks a lot dude! I can't belive that every1 tell me no it's impossible, Ref model suck (they do, but not that much!). I was about to flash my card just to see how far I could go and break my warranty ;)

THW and HardForum hadn't any clue!

Back