• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 2800+ How high can you push it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R3V3L4710N

Registered
The title says it all.

I am building a new rig and i am planning on getting the AMD XP2800+ and combining it with the SOYO KT400 Dragon Ultra. This will be paired with 512mb of DDR-400 (not sure which brand to get yet - any recommendations?)

So basically wanna know how far you peeps with the XP2800+ have OCed it at default voltage and how far you think it can go on a higher voltage.

Thanks for your input.

uh

the cpu just issued to the general public at a rather high price.

any clocking results would be very preliminary at this time and limited to the few that are willing to spend that kind of dough.

i suspect that this may be at the outer limit of yields right now and clockage would be limited a bit because of that.

wait till better yields come down the pike, it is usually the next stepping that will clock better.

of course, if your nuts are in a tizzy, go buy the sucker and report back for the other peeps that are interested in it's clockability.

baldy:cool:

2 questions for you guys?

question 1=
if the 2800+ is operating @2.2 ghz on stock voltage of 1.65 i think is the right voltage for the t-bread. then shouln't you be able to reach higher speeds because the base speed is already 2.2 with low voltage ? shouldn't you be able to hit 2.6 or even 2.8 with a up in the voltage to say 1.85 or 1.9 and the right multiplier and front side bus ratio? if not ,could you give explanation?

question 2=
the barton core? i thought the barton cores started with the 2700+ or the 333fsb? are they not? i keep seeing the 2700+ and 2800+ as t-bread cores on newegg. if not then what are the major changes between the barton cores and the t-breads. and does anyone know when they will be out? i know amd roadmap shoes them being released 4th q 2002!

Answer to question #1=All of the new tbreds, 2400,2600,2700,2800 are all based on the Tbred Reversion B core. This core has limits that are not infinate. They seem to max out at around 2.5ghz using standard air cooling. The 2800+ may have a little bit of a better stepping because it is newer than the others so it may be able to go higher but that is it. If you have a 2400+ and a 2800+ with the exact same stepping and week, both of them will be able to hit nearly exactly the same speed.

answer to question 2= barton will be released in early 2003 according to AMD. just like AMD is re releasing the 1700+ and 1800+ as a tbred, they are also going to be rereleasing the 2700+ and higher as Bartons. All Bartons will be 333mhz and will have 512K cache and should oc like CRAZY.

I would and always get the lowest speed revision of each chip.When the 1700+ Tbred b gets to my area I will have one,same as my axia 1000 @ 1600,my XP 1600+ @ 1880,AMD makes pretty much an identical chip on each revision and just locks the multi for the demand they are makeing at the time the chip is produced,save yourself some money and take a few steps down since you will be overclocking it anyway,the Tbird 1 gig I had did better then any of the 1.2's or 1.4's that went through my hands at overclocking,as did the AGOIA 1600 pluses I have,its all in the stepping and a little bit of luck.

wildone

so the barton will have a 512k cache instead of the 256k cache the t-bread has . cool! thanks for the info cuase i fried my 2200+ last week and was getting ready to shell out the 400 big ones for the 2800+, but sounds like i need to get a 2600+ for the 333fsb and save my money for the barton!

thanks again!

Hmm.

Interesting info. I am looking to hit 3gigs at the LEAST. I would like to go higher. I know that i could get a 2gig celly and hit 3 with that but i want higher......:eek:

How high have you guys gone with your AMD's 2600+ 2700+ etc. and how high do you think they can go? If i cant push past 3 with and AMD then i am gonna go with an Intel. Any recommendations on what the best price/performance ratio is that can get me past 3gigs. I know that the 2 gig celly has the best price/performance ratio and one of the highest possible overclocks but like i said, i want to go past 3gigs.

Any suggestions on the right chip to do this would be great!

Cheers guys!

Celeron's speeds seem impressive, but its nothing really worth bragging about a P4 at 2.4GHz still beats a 3GHz celeron (running same FSB), and it goes about 30% faster at 2.4 than the celeron at 3. If you want to go Intel I suggest you wait till the lower end chips get the C1 steeping which hits amazing speeds, I've seen a 1.8A C1 stepping on Intel section hitting 3.5GHz stable. That'd be your best shot. I wouldn't believe AMD will break the 3GHz soon w/o crazy cooling and voltage. I think that with the Prometia 2.8-2.9GHz is likely without too much work, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high. If all you're interested in is NUMBERS then Intel is your choice

wildone said:
I would and always get the lowest speed revision of each chip.When the 1700+ Tbred b gets to my area I will have one,same as my axia 1000 @ 1600,my XP 1600+ @ 1880,AMD makes pretty much an identical chip on each revision and just locks the multi for the demand they are makeing at the time the chip is produced,save yourself some money and take a few steps down since you will be overclocking it anyway,the Tbird 1 gig I had did better then any of the 1.2's or 1.4's that went through my hands at overclocking,as did the AGOIA 1600 pluses I have,its all in the stepping and a little bit of luck.

wildone

Think Tbred B's are starting at 1800+, not 1700+

Tipycol said:

Think Tbred B's are starting at 1800+, not 1700+

Well,thats why I said when,a while back they said they were gonna go as low as 1700+ with the new tbred core,and if and when they do,thats what I will go for ;)

wildone

The Coolest said:
Celeron's speeds seem impressive, but its nothing really worth bragging about a P4 at 2.4GHz still beats a 3GHz celeron (running same FSB), and it goes about 30% faster at 2.4 than the celeron at 3. If you want to go Intel I suggest you wait till the lower end chips get the C1 steeping which hits amazing speeds, I've seen a 1.8A C1 stepping on Intel section hitting 3.5GHz stable. That'd be your best shot. I wouldn't believe AMD will break the 3GHz soon w/o crazy cooling and voltage. I think that with the Prometia 2.8-2.9GHz is likely without too much work, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high. If all you're interested in is NUMBERS then Intel is your choice

A 2.4Ghz P4 beats a 3Gig celly? 30% faster?? Really??

I have never heard about this before. Is is because the P4 has more cache? I'm a "moderate n00b" to all this and while i know more than most, my knowledge is nothin compared to you guys. Please could someone explain why a slower chip (judging by amount of Ghz) runs FASTER. (in this case)

Thanks very much for that The Coolest. Thats a bitta knowledge i never had. im only 14....

Oh yeah and im not interested in numbers. Im interested in performance but until now i thought that the numbers (ghz) WAS performance.......combined with the cache of course.

Why soyo Mobo... im srry but i have a soyo and its overclocking capabilities are CRAP. you cant put it anywhere near the levels that an ABIT or EPoX can go. Soyos are for total all in one/ no overclocking packages. i found this the hard way. DONT GO SOYO!

Speed in Mhz is not a factor. MHZ mean nothing in this computing age! It all has to do with what your comper can do with those MHZ and how well it handles them.

R3V3L4710N said:
The title says it all.

I am building a new rig and i am planning on getting the AMD XP2800+ and combining it with the SOYO KT400 Dragon Ultra. This will be paired with 512mb of DDR-400 (not sure which brand to get yet - any recommendations?)

So basically wanna know how far you peeps with the XP2800+ have OCed it at default voltage and how far you think it can go on a higher voltage.

Thanks for your input.

The AthlonXP 2800+ CPUs can do 2.5GHz with no sweat on AIR. Venturing above 2500MHz however may require water to get you there.

OC-Master

KewlKid2000+ said:
Why soyo Mobo... im srry but i have a soyo and its overclocking capabilities are CRAP. you cant put it anywhere near the levels that an ABIT or EPoX can go. Soyos are for total all in one/ no overclocking packages. i found this the hard way. DONT GO SOYO!

Ok then.....i guess ill find out the easy way.....from other peoples mistakes. :D

Thanks for that KewlKid.

I will look for an EPoX or ABIT then. Any recommendations?

Re: Re: XP 2800+ How high can you push it?

OC-Master said:
The AthlonXP 2800+ CPUs can do 2.5GHz with no sweat on AIR. Venturing above 2500MHz however may require water to get you there.

OC-Master

You have a link OC-Master?

R3V3L4710N said:

Ok then.....i guess ill find out the easy way.....from other peoples mistakes. :D

Thanks for that KewlKid.

I will look for an EPoX or ABIT then. Any recommendations?

You could get a nForce 2 board. If you want VIA then the ABIT KD7 or Epox 8K9A2+

Re: Re: Re: XP 2800+ How high can you push it?

Tipycol said:

You have a link OC-Master?

You could get a nForce 2 board. If you want VIA then the ABIT KD7 or Epox 8K9A2+

No but Tom got an old 2600+ to 2.66GHz with the old stepping. 2.5GHz with the new stepping on a higher rated CPU will make 2.5GHz without even having to guess.

OC-Master

BARTON OH YEAH!
those babies will have loads more power due to 512K, but hey what are the price predictions?
cant believe amd has same prices as intel know for their fast cpu's.

Back