• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 2800+ How high can you push it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re: Re: Re: Re: XP 2800+ How high can you push it?

OC-Master said:

No but Tom got an old 2600+ to 2.66GHz with the old stepping. 2.5GHz with the new stepping on a higher rated CPU will make 2.5GHz without even having to guess.

OC-Master

Oh well...I trust you (hasn't hurt me yet :))
I only had my doubts cause some sites reported they had problems getting the 2800+ getting past 177fsb (not adjusting the multi though) when they tried to OC the chip.

Probably go for the lower speed TbredB. If the 2800+ is $410, imagine how much the Bartons will cost. And I wonder if you would still have to purchase a compatible motherboard and fan with it.

Tipycol said:
Probably go for the lower speed TbredB. If the 2800+ is $410, imagine how much the Bartons will cost. And I wonder if you would still have to purchase a compatible motherboard and fan with it.

Plus at the speed that AMD has released next gen CPUs, your going to be waiting a long long time for Barton :)

OC-Master

walldow said:
so the barton will have a 512k cache instead of the 256k cache the t-bread has . cool! thanks for the info cuase i fried my 2200+ last week and was getting ready to shell out the 400 big ones for the 2800+, but sounds like i need to get a 2600+ for the 333fsb and save my money for the barton!

thanks again!

if ya dont mind me asking, how did you fry your 2200?

Can someone clarify for me the aspects and factors that make a CPU 'good' please.

I know that the following matter:

Ghz
Cache

Anything else to add to the list? If you guys could give me a bit of help on this it would be great. Thanks:cool:

FSB, memory bandwidth is very important, and affects the system as a whole, not only CPU, but the highest the FSB the faster the system will be, even if u have to sacrifice a few MHz off the CPU speed to get more FSB

Ok so

Mhz
Cache
FSB

Well if these are the factors that define a good processor then why does anyone go for AMD???

Apart from the price difference (which is diminishing...) but generally Intel's have a higher FSB and most of them have higher Ghz. The overclocking potential of some Intel's also RULES!

So why does anyone even consider going for an AMD??

I have always been an AMD supporter. Now i am wondering.....

Am i missing something here? (i probably am...)

Clock rate does matter but it is not the end all of CPU performance.

Imagine you have photographic memory. You can read things REALLY fast right? What if also have dyslexia or bad eye sight. Then it wouldn't really matter how fast you can read.

Another example. You have an employee who works his *** off. I mean this guy runs everywhere he needs to go. Moves extremely fast in everything he does. The only problem is that he has only been employed for two days and doesn't know much of anything.

I can't say for sure about the P4 HT, butotherwise Intel's are much less efficient per clock cycle when compared to AMD.

I have seen benchmarks of the Opteron that clearly shows that is destroys the competition. The Opteron was only running at 1 GHz. :)

I think the main reason that so many overclockers go for AMD, is that AMD's overclock like nobody's business. I have seen some benches over at the Xtreme that show an AMD platfrom with 400 Mhz FSB destroying an Intel/Rambus combo (need phase change to get there... but whatever).

The bottom line is that if you want to compare the two chips, look at the benchmarks. Only looks at the specs to try and understand why one chip is scoring better than the other (a feature may be scewing the marks).

OC-Master said:

Plus at the speed that AMD has released next gen CPUs, your going to be waiting a long long time for Barton :)

OC-Master

I dunno about that. All the recent XP procs seemed to have just appeared one right after another ;)

NAMAGOMI

you asked how i fried my 2200+? for some reason when i was at work my girlfriend decided she was going to get into my pc. she took out my stick of sammsung ddr. for some strange reason she thought it had my files on it? she doesn't know mutch about computers. anyway she tride putting the ram in her pc, but her pc takes sdram so it wouldn't fit. well she goes to put the ram back in my pc and didn't have it seated right and powered on the pc. well needless to say the pc wouldn't post.

well when i got home she confessed to what she had done. so i seated the ram correctly into the slot and still no post. well i unplugged every thing from the board even the 2200+ looked over the chip no cracks or blisters so i installed the processor back into the mobo and turned it on just to see if it would poast, because a bare mobo will post with only a processor. anyway out of ignorance ,already mad becuse my pc is fried, i forgot to put the heatsink back on the proc. the power was only on for about three seconds but i started smelling somthing and i could hear a cracling sound almost like bacon frieing, i turned the power off and pulled the cpu out and it was blistered on the bottom side.

still not knowing weather it was the board or cpu i bought a new board, abit at7 max2. got it in the case and ready to go tried the old 2200+ but its gone (fried ). waiting to get the extra cash for the 2600@333 in a week or so.

Back