• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Barton 2500 vs XP 2600 Thoroughbred

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGampher

I'm in the mood for a bit of an upgrade so I've been looking around.

I don't overclock (gasp!) so I'd be running it stock. I'm kind of a newbie, so I'm curious about the differences between the two and how it will effect my new rig. I'll be buying the following:

Epox 8RDA+
ATI 9500 128 mb
Crucial 3200 512 mb
(The rest is what I currently have)

I notice that while both have 333 fsb, the Barton has a 512 L2 cache and the Thoroughbred only 256. However, the Thoroughbred is clocked at 2.08 ghz, the Barton at 1.83. Keep in mind that I do not overclock (as of yet ;) ).

Which would be a better purchase, the 512 L2 cache, or the increased clock speed? I use the computer for gaming and the internet (is there anything else?).

Thanks in advance for your help!

I actually just purchased a 2500+ Barton for overclocking, but taking that out of my mind, if all are the same, I probably would recommend the 2600+ for you. I don't think that the extra cache will give you much of a boost, maybe 5% so I think you would be better with the extra frequency. That is my opinion at least.

I am pretty sure that the standard FSB for both chips is the same, 333. Are you saying they are different? I am not quite sure what you are saying here.

FSB is the same on both cpus (333). I'm talking the L2 cache on the barton, and the frequency on the thoroughbred.

I had a feeling that was the case, my vote still goes with the 2600+, I have read a lot of reviews and the extra cache just hasn't made a big difference. I just went for the chip mainly because it was on sale and it seemed to be a decent OC subject.

Sorry, didn't read the "both FSBs are the same" part in the original thread. I didn't know there were any non-166Mhz non-bartons out there.

Irish:

[newbness]
What is the performance gain of the added cache on the Barton? Why would they even release a new core with lower freq just to add a spiffy new cache size?
[/newbness]

I must admit I am fairly newbie as well, I just have some practical knowledge from spending some time working in a PC repair shop last summer, and doing a lot of research. The main reason that AMD did it was to compete more with Intel, whom has the larger cache. I really believe it is a selling point instead of something that makes a big difference. It is like asking why they call it PC2100 instead of PC266. It is all a selling point, that is what computers are for most of us who aren't at least fairly savvy. I just have read that it doesn't make a big difference, which I can believe. It is like 512 MB RAM or 1 GIG RAM in my opinion, most of the time you will never notice. I hope this helps, but I am not sure that it will, just know that it makes very little difference, or at least so I have read. Search for some reviews and see what they say.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll look around for reviews around tomshardware, even though it gets a little too jumbly to make out for me sometimes. I appreciate the help!

[edit]
Dahm spalleng ererrs!
[/edit]

Last edited:
2600+

Hi. Just got an Epox 8k9a2+ to build my second rig. Also looking at the xp2600+. Saw another thread about bad OCing 2100Bs from New Egg or even that (depending on where you buy) you might get an 'A'. Any recommendations on where to buy/not to buy an XP2600+ ?

Thx

Back