• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yay, my Barton is unlocked in the BIOS help me OC this mofo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterChief1128

Registered
I thought my Barton would be locked, but it's not with my new Abit AN7-S!

So, what should I do first? Right now the FSB is like 185 I think with a multiplier of 11. So what should I change the FSB and/or multiplier to? Also, what should I change the vcore temp to?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Last edited:
wow how is ure fsb only 85? you sure the multiplier is unlocked? If you look at the top of the bios screen where you change all your fsb and mulitplier it should say something like internal clock then show the speed and the fsb x multiplier. does the multiplier there acutally change? or are you only looking at where you change it? (right under the fsb) thats what i was doing. I was like woohoo my cpus unlocked then i found out it was locked

Oops, I meant 185. I edited it now.

Well I can change the multiplier up and down and stuff, but I haven't tried saving the settings after I change it. How can I really tell if it's unlocked?

By the way, right now I'm running at 2.03 Ghz stable and my CPU temp is only like 103 F. Once I get my new fan (either a Tornado or a Smart Fan II) the temps will probably drop some.

Anyways, what do you'll say I change the FSB and/or multiplier (if it's actually unlocked) to?

Overclocking is a long process, you're supposed to toy with it as much as possible! Change it hundreds of times till you find what you like! Anyways this is my process:

- Turn CPU voltage to moderate amount (stock or so)
- Turn multiplier WAY down
- Turn RAM and chipset voltage way up
- Turn RAM timings to really loose (3-4-4-8 or 3-4-4-11)
- Increment FSB up until the computer won't boot or post
- Tighten RAM timings if possible
- Lower chipset and RAM voltages if possible
- Increment multiplier up until computer is unstable
- At that point, increase voltage
- Repeat the last 2 steps until the computer is at high-40's temperatures

do you mean high 40's at load or what?

well in order to know if its truly unlocked youll need to save settings. Just keep the fsb at stock. Then lower the multiplier, is the speed (fsb x multipler) the same in the bios (at the top) or is it lower? if its lower than its unlocked, if its the same its locked.

could i do the the steps you listed kiyoshilionz? i have a locked multiplier so ya. do you turn the voltages all the way up or what? and is ram timings the same as the fsb/ram ratio? i cant find my timings

kiyoshilionz said:
Overclocking is a long process, you're supposed to toy with it as much as possible! Change it hundreds of times till you find what you like! Anyways this is my process:

- Turn CPU voltage to moderate amount (stock or so)
- Turn multiplier WAY down
- Turn RAM and chipset voltage way up
- Turn RAM timings to really loose (3-4-4-8 or 3-4-4-11)
- Increment FSB up until the computer won't boot or post
- Tighten RAM timings if possible
- Lower chipset and RAM voltages if possible
- Increment multiplier up until computer is unstable
- At that point, increase voltage
- Repeat the last 2 steps until the computer is at high-40's temperatures

It is NOT a good idea to loosen up the timing if you are using winbond chips, you will simply get a no boot.

Well just do it until your temperatures are as high as you are comfortable with. I try to keep the temperatures under 55 degrees at load, but that'll really heat up my room so I usually try to run it a lot slower unless it gets cool enough to run it at full speed.

With a locked multiplier you'd have to go for a max CPU and RAM overclock at the same time. You'd want to have high chipset and RAM voltages, high timings, and moderate CPU voltage. Then when it gets unstable, increase the CPU voltage. When you get to the highest FSB and CPU speed, try to reduce timings and voltages. Basically you want to get everything as fast as your system can handle, then tone down the stuff that restricts how fast it goes (like voltages and timings)

The timings are in the Advanced Chipset Config. It's called something like that. The FSB/RAM ratio controls the speed difference between FSB and the RAM. Like if you have a FSB of 200 and your ratio is at 5:4 then the RAM is at 160. For AMD systems you really shouldn't touch this, running it out of sync (same thing as running it in anything but 1:1) will decrease performance.

glasszon said:
It is NOT a good idea to loosen up the timing if you are using winbond chips, you will simply get a no boot.
Oh, winbond ONLY does 2-2-2-X timings? That's pretty sweet. I didn't know that.

Ok, well right now I'm running at 2.31 Ghz (w00t!) at only 108 F.

One question about the multiplier...

When I change it's setting, the FSB doesn't change. So does that mean it's unlocked??

the fsb isnt suppose to change, it only changes if you change the fsb. Changing the multiplier just changes the multiplier.

MasterChief1128 said:
Ok, well right now I'm running at 2.31 Ghz (w00t!) at only 108 F.

One question about the multiplier...

When I change it's setting, the FSB doesn't change. So does that mean it's unlocked??
If you really want to be sure if its unlocked you just have to check the stepping code on your core. That is if you're willing to remove your cpu heatsink. Then you can list down your OPN code and post it here. Also, when you change the multi in the BIOS did you check the setting in CPU-Z or WCPUID if it really did change? That's one way of telling if its indeed unlocked, or maybe you can try Barton Clock Ratio Checker to see the guts of your proc. I'm not too sure about the accuracy of this proggy, I did run it more than once on my unlocked 2800+ and it detected it as unlocked although I wished I had a locked one to use it on, just to make sure and satisfy my curiosity.

kiyoshilionz said:
Oh, winbond ONLY does 2-2-2-X timings? That's pretty sweet. I didn't know that.

No, but a lot of people have some trouble running their bh5 and bh6 with cas 3, that's why a lot of people flash their dfi bios because it default @ cas 3 when you clear the CMOS. :-/

Ya I have some bh6 and I set it to cas3 to try to get higher FSB, but no boot. You hafta reseat ram/video card and clear CMOS to post.

Try changing the multiplier to x10, run GCPUID (my sig), and post a screenshot of it

or you can do what i said and open the bios, move the multiplier up or down .5 or 1 thing, then save settings. Then after the reboot go into the bios. At the top it should say internal clock then your fsb x your multiplier, is the multiplier the same or is it what you set it to? another way to check is to just leave the fsb alone dont change anything except the multiplier. Move it up or down, then exit and save the settings. Does it say "do not turn off computer while bios is saving" or something like that? if it doesnt say its saving your locked. IF it does say its saving your lucky and its unlocked

Back