• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another upgrade question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow...your really doing some major upgrades! I'm jelly!

Sub-$500 total and I have a "play money" budget (OT, etc), so it's not a big deal. Plus the vidcard should give me close to 3-4 years of use based on my upgrade tendencies.

This will be my last upgrade to my current setup, but I don't see myself moving beyond S775 for another 1-2 years; so I'm happy.

This proves to me that you build a solid rig from the ground up and it'll give you many years of satisfaction down the road.

Proc should be here Thursday; Vidcard on Friday(!!)

And, of course, work is telling me today there's a good chance I'll have to travel starting Sunday/Monday.

UPDATE!

Good: Q9450 went in with no problems.
Bad: Installed the 7950 and got a blank screen. Reinstalled the 4850 and things booted normally. Build is in my sig.

I'm about 95% certain that PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible to 2.0, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. The 7950 went in with no problems and I made sure it wasn't "cockeyed" when I put it in.

The only other thing I can see that could be an issue is this:
photo.JPG

The fans spin up on the vidcard and I see no outward indications of an issue. I can't imagine a slightly bent capacitor would cause a non-display.

-------------
The ONLY other option I can think of is looking for a BIOS flash/update that possibly adds support for PCIe 3.0 cards(?)

Yes I plugged both of them. The fans on the card also spun up. Not sure what's going on.

Just got back from a work trip so the card goes back tomorrow.

Back