• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your jobs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
college student - full time
but i work 10 hours a week as a groundskeeper.
responsable for areas around 2 buildings, campus wide trash/litter pickup as needed, weeding, watering, streetsweeping, filling potholes, snow removal, hauling more trash
allso take up the slack when the full-timers cant make it, pretty much anything else my boss wants to get done. fridays hours are spent in the motor pool, fixing up vehicles.
great group to work with, i am paid well, have the use of a golf cart, only have a hard time with one thing or another once a month or so... its a nice, part time blue collar job.

i am getting more and more popular around here fixing computers, and maybe this summer ill find a tech job...

I am the Database and Systems Administrator for a large Local Government body in New South Wales, Australia.

I have a university degree in a fairly unrelated field, but have managed to work my way up from Tech Support to my current role through hard work and dedication to the organisation, and by displaying my ability to manage fairly substantial projects on budget and within acceptable time frames.

I am rostered to work a 35 hour week, with a rostered day off every fortnight, though I'm more likely to be putting in a minimum of 60 hours a week. Paid overtime is not very common these days, with Time in Lieu being the prefered option for my employer (but with approximately 350 hours now owing to me, cash would be a god-send!).

I am currently earning approximatly AU$28/hour for the first 35 hours per week, but this is set to rise in the near future, as I take on a supervisory role for the first time in my career.

Freshman at Roger Williams University

Working on my BA in Theatre (Lighting Design and Stage Management)
After I'm done with my BA I plan to move on to get my MFA in Lighting Design and Stage Management

I am a Full Time Deckhand on a car ferry in the summer for $12/hr
A Part Time Farm Hand for about $7/hr
and a Lighting Designer for the local theatre on request.

I work in security (of sorts). I work in high crime apartment complexes in Tampa and try to keep things under control. Its a fun job but it gets pretty stressful. Right now im starting a move into Executive Protection (bodyguard). We'll see how that goes. I also have a year an a half left in the Marine Reserves.

Marine Engineer.

Right now working for a cruise boat company in Toronto harbour - I do a lot of different stuff - engine work, electrical work, plumbing work, electronics work, sitting on my rear end waiting for something to break work... My g/f just started her masters so I'm going to probably do this for the two years 'til she's done, and then see if I want to stick around (I just started here six weeks ago).

I've done a lot of other boaty stuff over the last 10 years, mainly in the tall ships (large traditional sailboat) industry. I enjoyed it - you get paid to travel the world.

Just a high school diploma from me, the rest I learned on the job/at the library/google. Although I've done a fair number of little courses on the side that I've needed (marine firefighting, lifeboating, navigation and powerplant simlulators...).

Salary depends what I'm doing and how many hours I work, but ~$60k

Marine Electrician/Licensed Master Mariner-

Hi JCLW, Sounds like we're in the same boat so to speak, <sorry, couldn't resist>. My job consists primarily of installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting shipboard electrical systems.

I just finished installing a "fly by wire" throttle system, as well as the engine controls for a couple of Cummins main engines on an Alaska cruise boat. Pretty interesting stuff, they both operate on a Canbus system (Controller Area Network, capable of 100 Mbps), which is controlled by an integrated WinXP system.

Usually 80% of what I do is involved with commercial fishing industry vessels, from lighting to generator controls, to referigeration systems, hydraulics, ect, ect, ect.

Also have in the neighborhood of 4000 days (deck department) documented with the USCG, operating, crewing on vessels, and just over a year documented in the engine department.

Salary:

Going to sea: 0 to 90k ($0 = disasterous fishing trip, got a bill for food, fuel, and gear loss, instead of a paycheck)

Electrician: 60k @ 40hrs

Education: highschool dropout :rolleyes:

I just got my A+ certification, though when I threw the party for it all my friends didn't know what it is :temper: I currently work construction, the pay is odd, as are the hours. I want to start a thermal interface company, that I am working on right now. I also want to start some kind of organic plant company, I hope to have a couple of small business, so that I can work at what I love and quit my day job :D

well computers are just a hobby to most of us, and trust me when i say that i would get pretty sick of computers if that is what i did all day, hell right now i am pretty bored with computers

Ha! I want to get into computers but everybody wants a BS and work experience, which I don't have yet

The problem with working with computers is you find out how seriously you are interested in computers. I have found through working with computers, that sometimes there are days when you just come home and you don't want to hardly look at your own rig. It's hard to make a full time job of your hobby, and then not develop other hobbies - its just not for everyone.

Right now, I find that working with PC's as an intern with Sherwin-Williams exposes me to how much I have to learn. It motivates me even more to immerse myself - I go out with coworkers after work for drinks a couple times a week, and we talk shop and I learn more about the infrastructure/environment. I come home and study on topics for work and certifications I want for personal reasons. I have continued posting on the forums frequently through the past year I've had this job.

This sort of thing takes a certain type of person, and I think I'm probably not quite right in the head. But, I like to totally immerse myself in my interests. I know many others though that try to make a job out of their hobby and they end up dissatisfied and unhappy.

I really got into computers roghly 5 months ago. I am studying for my A+ and Network+ cetification and im 15. I just like how everything works and at least for now, love being around them and everything about the hardware, and anything. I am also learning VB6, the c visual and perl.... I hope to be prepared by the time i get out of high school for a good job.

Systems Administrator for 8 years, got kicked out in march, so that officially makes me an unemployed hobo at the moment.

My job? hmz.

After i finished high school last year i tried for the airforce...turned out bad in january so right now im working here and there a bit, looking to join the marines or maybe start a study next year.

I am a Certified/Licensed Pharmacy Technician at a hospital pharmacy and work about 77 hours in a week. but since it is an overnight job, its fairly slack on what to do. I spend most the the night manufacturing medication doses, answering phones, and solving stupid problems. There are lots of those. :bang head <--it kinda like doing this all night :p
I probably could double my pay if I worked in a retail Pharmacy, but that is another pimple on the backside- basically, been there, done that, aint no fun either.
I am trying to finish school for Network Administration, but other things in life keep getting in the way so the courses are very part time right now.

What do you need to take to become a network admin?

Also, if you take nano enginerring does that mean you will have a knowledge of cpu's? Are cpu's cosidered nano engenerring?

Back