• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256 mb or 512 mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtrabyte

What is the difference to a systems performance by using 512 mb compared to 256 mb?

I currently have 256 mb of Kingmax PC2700, and run Windows XP with an AMD 2100+ T/Bred.

more ram allows more capacity for programs to run faster, but performance also depends on the type of ram, your system bus & ram timings (cas latency, access time, etc), i'm not sure if there's anything more that affects performance.

Last edited:
Ram good. Ram makum big happy. 512 Meg ram Much good. 256 Not quite so good but ok. Ram good.

More ram = Less hard disk swapping

I wouldn't run WinXP on anything less than 256 MB or its SLOW! Especially since I still have PC133 :) Seriously, like the others said, 512 is the way to go. With RAM going down in price so fast, theres not much of an excuse not to do it. The speed difference is noticeable, both in general use and gaming.

512 ???? get a gig !!!

But seriously like lithan said more ram is better, especially with windows XP, jumping to 512 will make things much smoother.

Go for it...ram prices are sooooo cheap nowadays

If you hear the hard drive when you aren't loading something it's because you need more ram.

How badly you need it = how often you hear it

Back