• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which maze 3 should i get and which pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

I'm about to build a low budget water cooling system and want to get the maze 3 waterblock from dangerden. The problem is that there's about 2-3 different maze 3's and i'm not sure which one is the right one to get. Also are the hydor pumps quieter than the via or are they about the same? I'm deciding on getting one of the two since i don't have enough for a ehiem yet. Also which company would you say has better build quality? Hydor or Via? Thanks.

Edit: The names of the maze 3's are MAZE3, MAZE3SHD (Socke Hold Down Block), and also MAZE3-1
http://dangerden.com/mall/blocks/maze3.asp

The Maze3 SHD comes with a socket tab adapter, so buy this one if your motherboard lacks mounting holes. The Maze3-1 comes with a peltier cold plate. I wouldn't go with Hydor or Via Aqua. You could probably find a Danner Mag Drive 3 for the same cost, and it would exceed both in reliability and performance.

The maze3shd has the big and lumberjack-like mounting hardware. The Maze3-1 comes with a special cold-plate with 4 screws. The maze3 comes with a free ghost inside.

I prefer Hydor pumps to any of the other 'lower' priced pumps. They rock.

So i wouldn't get the MAZE3-1 if i'm not buliding a peltier system right? And i wouldn't get the MAZE3SHD if i know i have mounting holes for it right? So my last choice would be the first one-MAZE3. But just to make sure, what do the mounting holes look like on my motherboard? I recently installed a thermalright sk6+ so i forgot how my socket area for my cpu looks like.

wannaoc Look in Cyber Deals, there is a really good sale on Via 1300. It's like 15.00 shipped.
Wow i'm getting mine for $22 without shipping. AFter shipping, it's almost $40. Where could i get the Via for that cheap? Is cyber Deals a website?

If i get a danner mag pump, would it be the same procedure as any other pump when installing the hoses or do i have to get some special attachements for the hoses? Thanks.

Pretty much the same as any other... You'll need some hose barbs(2) for the in/out on the pump, hoses and clamps. I'd recommend using plastic barbs instead of the brass ones to avoid cracking the intake housing (voice of experience and/or stupidity you decide which.)

I'm the idiot who had to fix mine after using brass and overtightening, so my judgement is obviously suspect :rolleyes:

Dumb question, but for $3 less why don't you go with the newer Maze4 which has been proven to carry heat away more effectively than the Maze3? There are plenty of reviews now that attest to this fact. ;)

Actually the maze4 is kind of more intimidating because it has FOUR choices to choose from. Which one is the right one to get? There's MAZE4, MAZE4SHD - Socket Hold Down Block, MAZE4-1, and MAZE4-1SHD - Socket Hold Down Block USE WITH PELTIER AND COLDPLATE. I'm still not clear about the socket hold down thing. could you guys please explain it again to me? Thanks.

Socket hold down is for Amd mounting without utilizing the four holes through the motherboard. In other words, it allows mounting like the old-school heatsink/fans from the Socket7 days, by utilizing the lugs on the socket itself.

It would allow for faster mounting (no motherboard removal required), though it might not be quite as secure...

Back