• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KNXP users

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Does anyone have a heatsink on thier southbridge? if yes which one? and does your southbrige get hot? mine feels quite warm to the touch.

I'm probably one of the few that actually does put a hs on my southbridge. I use small aluminum hs's from Thermaltake chipset cooler kit. I have to epoxy them on, but wait until the boards ran for a while, I just did a hurry up job on my first P4C800 and had problems with it 2 days later. Had to eat the board :(

Yes, about everything on my mb gets hot. That's why I also use vga ram coolers cut down on the mosfets up where the power is on the board. Mosfets get very hot too, I know from my years messing with audio and amps. I also try to find the clock generator and put something there too. I saw (think it was Anands site) where they did a thermal image of a mobo and the clock gen got VERY hot, I think it was even hotter than the chipset chip.

Good call. I never thought about the clock. Makes sense though.

I use the passive heatsink for a video card on my SB. The ones that stick on with tape. Better than nothing right? I broke a chipset trying to get an AS3 epoxied block off of it.

where is the clock generator and what does it do? like time clock or ghz clock?

Its kind of hard to explain. Its the heart of the computer, basicly. The system clock is how the board counts time. It is what keeps the system synchronized. ( clock cycles ) Its a very small crystal that occelates at a specific frequency when a set voltage is applied to it.

Sorry I cant explain it better. I hope this helps though.

Yeah it gets hot as you overclock because it's (if I understnad this correctly) the device that actually keeps the fsb etc... IT goes faster as the fsb is pushed up. And it's pretty hard to find, and very small usually.
I haven't yet found it for sure on this board yet although I'm always looking for things that get hot. My old case that was air cooled I had a Radio Shack "squirrel cage" type fan blowing across the backside of the motherboard, helped wuite a bit. This case I have a fan built into the MB tray to blow air across the backside of the board. A 60mm, gotta be careful on how much air flow and where it's at related to the other fans etc...

My cpu now is running @ 34 C at 215 MHZ and 1.55 volts. It's water cooled (Swiftech closed system,cpu, chipset and vga) but the cpu, vga, and chipset are all inline and not Y'd off so I think that's pretty good. Case temp is 29 C so I think the sytems well balanced.
My temps only go up to 39 C at 235 but my Corsair XMS 3500 ram doesn't like to cooperate so I just ordered some OCZ 4000 Gold, might be better, find out. Should be able to do 250 easy but temps not my problem right now.

actually the northbridge is the one that controls the fsb.... and yes there are TONS of heatsinks that cool your nb.... your mobo already has one, you don't need an aftermarket one unless you verclock very heavily and/or expierience instability

ummm thats what i thought..... but im not too sure on that.

The chipset is not the system clock. At least not on any system I know of. It used to be, the system clock was a small silver canister type of thing on the MB. Usually boards have a few things that look like this. So, it was kind of hard to tell which one is correct. Now, it seems some are more like a chipset.

Edit: I guess now days it goes by "clock generator". Maybe this link will help some.

It seems, if i have the right one, mine isnt very hot.

Here is a pic of one.

Last edited:
so the northbridge doesn't control the fsb?

and did you lap your cpu? :p

No and yes.

The FSB is contolled by the Northbridge ( im pretty sure ). The system clock is basicly the heart of the system. It is what ALL of the clock cycles are based on. Hummm.... Its what makes the whole " cycles per second " ( aka mhz ) stuff work. I dont know how else to explain it really. Its the PCs second counter.

Seems people are doubting my temps, so I posted a pic of my temp sensor.

They don't make HS's for mosfets or clock generators. I take old copper ram chip coolers off old Gforce 2's etc... and cut them down by hand to fit. Overkill for sure but they look pretty cool epoxied all over the board :D

I just stuck my hand in my case. Nothing other than the Northbridge is warm on my board. Other than the mosfets that is. They are still pretty cool though. If the clock makes heat, its not doing it on my board.

I think I am getting a new NB cooler though. My stock fan started to die after 3 months.

K1ll1nT1m3 said:
I just stuck my hand in my case. Nothing other than the Northbridge is warm on my board. Other than the mosfets that is. They are still pretty cool though. If the clock makes heat, its not doing it on my board.

I think I am getting a new NB cooler though. My stock fan started to die after 3 months.

even your southbridge? mine gets quite warm and is kinda worrying me

rocketmanx said:
They don't make HS's for mosfets or clock generators. I take old copper ram chip coolers off old Gforce 2's etc... and cut them down by hand to fit. Overkill for sure but they look pretty cool epoxied all over the board :D

yes they do....http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/michcokit.html

Thats cool. I might have to get that.

Yeh my case temp is pretty low. I have a 120 ( high speed ) and five 80mm fans in my case. Thats the only reason I can think of. My SB is pretty cool, I cant feel any temp on it. The mosfets are kind of warm though, thats why I want those.

Stan03: I finally cooled my HDD!!! I stuck some video ram heatsinks on the main chip. ( down to 30c now )

K1ll1nT1m3 said:
Thats cool. I might have to get that.

Yeh my case temp is pretty low. I have a 120 ( high speed ) and five 80mm fans in my case. Thats the only reason I can think of. My SB is pretty cool, I cant feel any temp on it. The mosfets are kind of warm though, thats why I want those.

Stan03: I finally cooled my HDD!!! I stuck some video ram heatsinks on the main chip. ( down to 30c now )

nice:D

hey your temps are awsome..... what is room temp?

Back