• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Black 512MB PC3500 VS Mushkin Black 512MB PC3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimbob7

Which to have? at a ratio of 5:4 will the Mushkin Black 512MB PC3200 stop me from getting the chips max overclock? 2.4c

there's not a really big difference between the Black Level 2 PC3200 & PC3500. Both use the same PCB and same Winbond BH-5 Chips. The PC3500 is just guaranteed to hit 217mhz, but you can almost always easily hit that with the PC3200.

Well Since the PC3500 is guaranteed to hit 217 I would get the PC3500 cauz I think theres like couple $ difference between the PC3200 and 3500.

Well depend if u u wanna go dual channel If u got an intel well most of them will run waay better with dual channel but AMD u wont gain nuttin so:

Intel= 2X256
AMD= 1X512

EDIT:: Since u got an Intel 2.4C get 2X256 :)

Grandpa Dan said:
Do you need dual channel?(P4 sys?) I've been using the pc3200, Pc3500 arrives mon. Then I can give an accurate comparison.

Well U can stick with 1x512 only or 1x256 but u will get better performance with dual channel tigny.. Also since u already got some PC3200, if u want more memory then u should get some other PC3200 cauz if u get some PC3500 with some PC3200 (from ur quote if I did read well) then ur PC3500 will underclock to PC3200 but thats not a big deal but still.

There you go:

Ideally, they only need to be identical in size. You are going to want to get two identical modules that, at the very least, share identical specifications and ICs. Buying two of the same modules, or even better, a Dual Channel kit, will save you unnecesary grief of having one module underperform the other.

Why does dual channel impact Intel Chips more than AMD?
Answer:
Intel is quad pumped ..AMD is just dually...

E.g.

Now, for the platform dependant part. Think of a highway yet again, this time an 4 lane wide one, representing a dual channel DDR configuration. Now suppose that highway comes up to a bridge. If that bridge is also 4 lanes across, then there is no choking off of the data, it can all ramp smoothly onto and over the bridge. This is what occurs in an Intel Pentium 4 configuration. That bridge is the FSB. Because a P4's FSB is "quad pumped" for data (it's only "double pumped" for addresses though, which are much shorter), it is capable of bringing all that data from the 128bit channels right in. What "quad pumped" means, is very similar to the DDR improvements I mentioned earlier. Only this time, data is sent twice on the rising and falling edges. Pretend the signal voltage is 1.5V. When the voltage reaches 0.7V, data is sent, and again when 1.5V is reached. On the down slope, the same thing occurs, data sent at 0.7V and 0V. This explains why the P4 architecture is such a bandwidth hog. When using a single memory controller configuration, like the i845 chipset, or a i865/i875 with only one channel being used, the FSB is capable of sending much more data than the memory controller can bring in from the ram, causing inefficiency.

Hope it helps if you don't understand tell me ill post couple more

Last edited:
I have some pc3200 that was part of a special promotion that totally owns. It does ddr450 @ 2.0 2-2-5 with 2.9v or ddr470 @ 2.5 3-3-7, but unfortunately my ic7-g undervolts an already weak ram voltage so it can only run at 2.7v. With that little it cant do anything more than ddr330 at 2.5 3-3-7.

I hope you get sticks as good as mine have been.

Back