• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, my Shuttle SB75G2 i875 Canterwood died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I came home from work and checked my email and posts/threads on my favorite BBs as usual.

I was playing winamp and ran Perfect Disk to defrag my second logical partition that my main OS is on. No issues so far.

After I left for classes, my wife checked her mail and played her favorite winamp shoutcast station then shut off winamp when she finished and left the computer. I assume the monitor power saving kicked in and the monitor shut off.

I came home 4 hours later and found my Shuttle unresponsive. The fan was still low speed as it always runs but there was no heat or warm air coming from the heat pipe or fan. The 250w Silent-X power supply was putting out some warm air from its fan.

When I reset the computer using the reset button the fan came on high like always but this time it stays on and won't post.

I tried the reset jumper, insert+power on button, try only one RAM stick at a time in DIMM 1 tricks to no avail.

I went ahead and swung the Silent-X out of the way and replaced the BIOS chip with my backup chip from Shuttle but still no post.

Since the processor is cold, I'm thinking maybe it somehow failed. It wasn't running very hot, only ~50°C and 1.55vcore.

There is no funny or burnt smells present that I could detect.

Any constructive suggestions and ideas would be welcome.

It's weird that the CPU doesn't put out any heat at all. The NB seems slightly warm and the GPU is warm but nothing for the CPU.

Where would you check the voltgage around the CPU socket to see it it's getting power?

Question: Shouldn't even a broken CPU put out heat if it has vcore?

Again I ask where you'd check vcore on the socket?

I suspect the VRM is the problem. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Back