• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gaming shuttle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jibby

I'm going to build a gaming shuttle. I've built numerous other computers but I haven't a clue about shuttles. I need recommendations or suggestions on what mobos are good quality and solid. I really don't care much about the onboard gfx since i will be putting in my own gfx card. WOuld like it to have good onboard sound. thanks.

ATX AN35N Ultra would most likely need a sound card for gaming as the ALC650 has a high CPU utilization. The MoBo OCs fairly well. I can run mine @220FSB unmodded.

mATX MN31N has onboard graphics but does have AGP 8X slot and has Soundstorm audio which games very well & has very low CPU utilization, can OC to ~200FSB using newer locked Barton 2500+s The IGP graphics can be tweaked to game decent so its nice to have a back-up video option should your AGP card die on you. Firewire, SPDIF and dual onboard VGA support is sweet as well, would make a nice HTPC rig when you upgrade again in a year or so. I run 2 of them in rigs with onboard everything, no problems.

Regards, Balrog

Am I wrong in assuming that jibby wants to make a SFF PC?

Regardless, Shuttle's products seem to be of rather good quality for the low price... I'm particularly pleased with my AN35N, but as Balrog mentioned the ALC650 is a fricken CPU-time-eating freak! I'm hoping that the Sensaura codec will be allowed to die a peaceful death sometime soon...

its gonna go in a shuttle case and im gonna use it for lans cuz its a lot better than lugging my w/cing rig around.

whats an SFF pc?

Jibby said:
its gonna go in a shuttle case and im gonna use it for lans cuz its a lot better than lugging my w/cing rig around.

whats an SFF pc?

SFF= Small from factor, which sounds like what you want. the shuttle cube PCs are SFF

Currently I have a shuttle XPC SN45G with a barton 2500+ Oced to 3200+ at 1.65 vcore, 1 gig of geil value ram pc3200 (they used to be 69 bucks a stick, now they are 105 bucks sheesh!), a 9600XT ultimate because it doesnt have a fan, a dvd burner and I bought the aftermarket psu shuttle sells because its 50 more watts than stock. I love mine, plays games like a dream. I use to have a 9700 pro in it but the fan noise drove me mad, but I'm kinda anal about stuff like that.

oh and it has no onboard video and sounstorm for onboard sound

to me the best deal would be the sn41g2 V2. make sure its a version 2 this is very important. The diffrence between the V1 and V@ is V2 has adjustable fsb and mulit as well as vcore, vdimm, agpv adjustment. V2 also has cables run inside more integrated onto the mobo, making it cleaner, plus it has a line in, lineout, mic and firewire on the front. it also comes stock with the new 250W powersupply, which by itself is sold for 75 dollars. The case is a nicer design than the sn45G IMHO also. the only bad thing is is has onboard video but everyhitng else makes it the best deal.

here is a link to both

SN45G
sn41g2V2

you would probaly want the new powersupply for 75 bucks anyway if you bought the sn45G, so you might as well ten bucks and get the nicer case with psu

Last edited:
The Shuttle SFFs are nice but:

1. They are pricey

2. Even with new 250watt PSUs in some models are a bit underpowered

3. They do tend to run a bit hot even with the custom HSF

4. Limited on what components they can hold.

5. Can be on the noisey side

6. Expensive to upgrade - new MoBos start ~$135.00 for what in ATX or mATX form would cost you ~$90.00 Some run as high as $175.00

If you want something smaller but with options, consider these cases with an ATX MoBo

http://www.dealsonic.com/li31miatxcaf.html

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-116-124&depa=1

Or get a mATX board like MN31N or Epox 8RGMI and put it in one of these, which come with a sweet Antec 300watt PSU w\quiet 120mm fan.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article146-page1.html

Just my $0.02

Regards, Balrog

Back