• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nocturnx

Registered
Im looking at radiators to buy and Im curious what BTU would be best. I know the higher the BTU the better the cooling. The radiators im looking at, one is 1500 BTU for $40 and the other is 3000 BTU for $60. So basically would it be worth the extra $20 investment to get the better radiator? I only plan on hooking up the cpu and vga to the setup but Id like to use this radiator with future setups. Would anyone know about the temp difference I would get between these two?

Well temp differences depend on how the radiators are built and the like and no one can probably tell you without looking at the two in question beyond a BTU rating.

A lot of folks around here use and reccomend automotive heater cores, like the ones sold at Dtek Customs. I use one myself and have never really been dissapointed.

I would go with one of the scratch and dent 120's. I got one and it is very hard to see anything wrong with it. Would save some money since I see they have a blue in stock right now. Here is a pic of my setup that shows both a Black Ice extreme and a JR120 scratch and dent.

ic74.jpg

You can see the dents on the tanks right by the barbs in the pic but cant in person.

Wow Ancient_1.

That setup looks like it was tough to put together. Very neat for the amount of stuff goin on in there though. Nice.

Nice setup, Ill go ahead and get one of the S&D JR120s. I dont have room in my case to mount the radiator on the inside. Im thinking of doing something similar to what this guy did: http://www.water-cooling.com/gallery2/Poloasis/images/DCP01744.jpg

He has the radiator mounted on top of his case and just drilled two holes in the top for the tubes to get to the radiator. It would be nice to have the whole thing in my case but I see know way of making it fit because my case is so cramped. Actually your case looks as small as mine.

My rig: http://community.webshots.com/album/92764286pXXnCb

It wasnt too tough of a job it just took a lil planning on what would fit. I really like the case I had and wanted to use it since I did a lot of work on the painting of it a couple years ago.

Here is a pic of the whole case and another I took on the 1st setup that shows the different color the paint can change to.The red colcor of the paint doesnt show up well in pics.

ic72.jpg

Waterbaby4FM.jpg

Mine rad on top of the case I had to use tape to seal it so air will flow right I found I had a allot more room there
What CPU are using and how much overclock are you trying to make this will Chang everything

I have a 2.6ghz P4c. Ive had it at 2.8 on stock cooling but id like to take it to 3ghz. Thanks for the links Ancient, those shrouds are slick ill probly get one of those and just sit it on top of my case. Should probly get some legs for it to stand on so there is better air flow through it, does that make sense?

lclark, i dont understand. You sealed the rad with tape instead of using a shroud?

Back