• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windowsxp wont let me open exe...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigsoomo

well i just did a fresh install on a new 160g seagate, and windows xp wont let me open any of the .exe or .txt from my backed up data. is there a fix for this? i been searching forums like crazy there has to be a way to fix it :bang head

are you sure that you did not get infected by a virus when migrating the backed up data?

When you say "windows xp wont let me open any of the .exe or .txt from my backed up data", what do you mean by Windows won't let you open them? Are you receiving an error message...what's happening exactly when you try to run an executable or open a text file?

Are you restoring the files from the image or are you trying to run them from the image... You will need to extract them.

What exactly do you mean - what happens when you try to open the file, and where are you trying to open them from?

Also, to help understand exactly what the problem is - if you click on the txt file to open it, it won't launch your default txt application (I assume notepad) right? If you open notepad and navigate to the file you are trying to open through the file>open menu dialog box, what happens and do you receive an error?

Last edited:
i had a similar problem with sp2...u double click and NOTHING happens

exactly what happens, i formated and recovered with getdataback ntfs....but i did fresh install and everythings workin now, you guys rock thanks for the advice and help

Back