• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undecided, OCZ 4000 Gold or Ballistix 4000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cid

Hello all, I just recently RMA'ed some PC4000 I received which memtest gave tons of errors on running at 245MHz and it wasn't OCZ or Crucial brand.

Anyways, now that I'm receiving my money back I'm looking at either the OCZ 4000 Gold or the new Crucial Ballistix 4000. I want to run at 1:1 250FSB so that's why I'm looking for only PC4000 and not anything faster.

I've only read good things about the OCZ PC4000 Gold and would like some opinions on whether I should try out the new Ballistix or stick to OCZ which I know will be good and perform well.

Rest of my system specs:

Abit IC7-G [email protected] 1.525v
OCZ 512(256x2) EL 2.8v 5:4

my position is,no offense to crucial/ or especially ocz, but its hard to justify the hi prices for pc4000 from the specialty houses cause theres just so much stuff out there that will easily run 250-260 for CHEEP. from the hynix bt-d43 chips on the kingstons valuram to kingmax pc4000 with d5 chips.. now if u want good latencies the more expensive ocz eb pc3700 is capable of 250+ at 2.8/9volts..

OCZ PC3700EB will do 250 at 2.8v 1:1?

Seeing how the eb is getting harder to find at a reasonable price, what can you say about the OCZ's PC4000 gold? If it's good ram I'll buy it.

its very good ram but u have to remember that ocz puts their primo chips in the el pc4200, especially the el pc4400. and as i said earlier "no offense to ocz cause they are a great company" but is it really worth it to pay 300.00+ for a gig of ram that u only need to run 250 and can be bought elsewhere for as little as 200.00 bux. now im not trying to discourage sales to ocz,( i really like them) i am just trying to point out alternatives based on ur true needs.. alot of guys here are young and just dont have big bux ,thats one of the reasons why i sell my used stuff for cheep and also try to do research on others ic's that will overclock well at a more modest price. now if u feel the ocz gold, with their unrivaled support and customer service is the way to go for u, by all means... flapper

Back