• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice with Asus P4s533 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P4mustangtime

Hello all, I'm a newie here and would like ask for any advice in telling me what is the best way I can do with my Asus P4s533 board I had brought. I'm gonna build me a new PC at home to replace my older P3 computer.

Higher GHz speed is one factor I'm after so I brought a Northwood verison P4-2.53 chip (socket 478). That's all at this moment I have on table now. I'm planning to buy more Kingson (sp?) memory RAM cards - I currently run 320 ram in my P3 cpu with 2 x 128 Ram cards and one 64 ram card in there. That's what I read from my screen.

On the 533 board - I'm thinking to try reach 512 K ram in there. What RAM should I buy? I'm going for Kingston as the same brand because they're good, but I'm sure you might know others equal as good as this one?

Next, what video card should I get to fit on the P4s533 board?

Thanks, and I'm taking the process one thing at a time to get all the parts I need to put everything together. I expect to start doing that around Xmas season.

Bumping for update... nobody come up with any suggestions? Ok, I'll wait then.

Yesterday, I checked a computer store for price quotes on "Curcial" (sp?) memory ram cards. Was quoted $149.95 for one 512 mb DDR/2700 card. Seems about reasonable for that size of ram. So I'll put on list for 2 of them to buy.

P4coffeetime said:

Yesterday, I checked a computer store for price quotes on "Curcial" (sp?) memory ram cards. Was quoted $149.95 for one 512 mb DDR/2700 card. Seems about reasonable for that size of ram. So I'll put on list for 2 of them to buy.

first off, post everything you have purchased so far, and your intentions with the system.

Do you plan to overclock? and what kind of clocks are you looking for? kingston for the most part oc's are below average, but on ram I suggest going OCZ or corsair, at least DDR400/PC3200 with some nice timings.

and do yourself a favor and get 2x512, at least a gig.

if your not overclockingf you can get some relaxed timing ram that will be more than enough and not hurt your pocket book to badly.

P4coffeetime said:

newbee hear also,
but I've been reading for over a year so the advice I give is kind of a summation of what I've read,
if the 2.53 is the C1 stepping it should be a good overclock, one guy on here got something like 3.5 on air, good example of the C1 stepping

With regards to memory you can easily get one gig for that same $150, again when choosing give yourself some Headroom get at least 3200/400 , as overclocking is addictive. Look in the memory part of this web site and you will get links to pretty good deals on memory. like this

You never know if this is a good chip you're a motherboard purchase away from 3G. and a power supply purchase away from 3G.+ assuming you have the proper CPU heat sink.(At least get a zalman 7000, $40)pretty good deal for the money

Hi, I would like to make one correct in what I'd said about my P4 chip. I dug out the information where I purchased that chip. It's not a 2.53 model but is in fact a 2.4 P4 533fsb chip in Northwood version. Sorry for the error!

To answer all posts: First of all - all I've brought so far were only 2 items (I've just started!) - one ASUS P4s533 motherboard and one P4 2.4 533fsb chip. My next stop is to buy an alumium cpu case to put all hardware in. I'm thinking of "Ling-Li" model as it has a nice clean face and is good for reducing heat inside, but surely there must be something else as good as that one? Budget is my concern as you can see...

After the cpu case, next is 2 memory cards (512x2) then 3 or 4 cooling fans, a video card and etc. Oh, I'm in Canada, so what I said about price on memory is based on Canadian funds.

Well, I wouldn't mind trying with overclocking - I've never done that before! Maybe i can do now with my old P3 computer here. Would be good for practice. Someone willing to show me how? My PC is a P3 800 Mhz ( yes, it's THAT old, come to think of...so am I! :p )

Thanks!

I don't know about the 2.4/ 533, but I have read that the 2.4/800 is a good overclocking processor which actually doesn't tell you much, go to the CPU section and do a search for "2.4" somebody out there has already seen what it can do, and most of time they provide the stepping, the numbers on the chip. Match those numbers up to your processor.

Again make sure it's a 2.4/533 you're reading about not a 2.4/800. I would read this write up in its entirety as it would help you get the best safe overclock with the emphasis on "safe". It's cheaper to learn by reading than by parts replacement, it seems to be advisable to keep the CPU voltage close to stock until you got Experience.

That's a good idea to use the old machine to learn more about overclocking, right now I'm actually overclocking a even older Celeron 533 system that somebody was thrown out, I got it at about 800. I'm going to install a 1.1 Celeron and see what it can do. The newer lower voltage CPUs overclock a lot better

It seems that the number one purchase in successful overclocking is the motherboard, followed closely by the memory so I would say at this point get the most memory you can afford, it will make it easier to see what the CPU can do.

keep the power steps small, and the voltage steps even smaller, enjoy

Back