• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this destroy my RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben Cole

Tried my 400FSB 3200+ in my Asus MoBo and forgot to change the RAM for my PC3200...I left my PC2700 RAM in there. Anyway the CPU was faulty so back in went the 333FSB 2500+ but now getting stability issues and indeed errors in memtest.

Did I fry the RAM by trying to boot at 400FSB? (didn't even post due to the CPU)

I doubt it very much. Frying usually involves overvolting. Trying to run it too fast just makes it not boot as it did in your case. Ram is much harder to fry than a gpu or cpu. You should check your timings, as that is the most likely cause of your problems. Next time you feel the urge to fry something make some bacon and eggs! Good luck.

LOL.....

I just tried some other DIMMs...They were OK with no errors at all. Tried the original DIMM (had errors constantly) and it is now on 330% with no errors.

Fingers crossed.

BTW the mobo in question has NO OC adjustments or mem timing adjustments!! it is an Asus A7N8X-VM/400 (micro ATX). Maybe the faulty CPU which was a 400FSB 3200+ caused the mem timings to default to something not suited to PC2700?

Argghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just posted that and error one returns after 414%.

Sorry, I did not realize you had no control over your settings. I have a7n8x deluxe and it's been known to be fusy about ram. Perhaps, that's the issue. Is it a dual channel board? (I know they made an a7n8x that was non-dual) If it is why not try it in a single channel mode?

It is in single channel mode. It only goes dual channel if you put an AGP card in.

Thanks for the help.

(I also have noted the fussy reputation of Asus MoBos with RAM)

dont sweat it guy. very little chance of hurting something in that manner.unlike car engines, if u try to run em too fast they just wont run.. running ur memory at 24/7 at 3.5/3.6 volts and overclocked to the max is something to be concerned with. not what u did.

Back