• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revised shopping cart... LOOK!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

millhouse

Hey all, a while ago i started a thread to show you what you though of my shopping cart... well, ran into a couple of probs and had to change some things around. The list of components is in my sig VV. Is there anything that should be changed? The total will be roughly $1500 USD. Suggestions, comments are welcome. :)

good overall choices...that system is going to rock. It should be plug and chug for all parts. Very nice.

Thanks for the replies! I tried not to go too overboard on it, except the monitor. :santa: I will also be used as a tv in my room, and for xbox360. Keep the replies coming. I would like to hear from all of you!

Looks Great

1)If you use much storage space you will want to add 1 or 2 more large HD's.
2)You didn't state if you were getting a Venice OEM or Retail-just a reminder if your going OEM you will need to also order a fan and heat sink.
Good Components-Good Luck

CeeDeeJay said:
1)If you use much storage space you will want to add 1 or 2 more large HD's.
2)You didn't state if you were getting a Venice OEM or Retail-just a reminder if your going OEM you will need to also order a fan and heat sink.
Good Components-Good Luck

1) I wont use more than 30gb of HDD space for the first month or so.

2) I am ordering an xp-120 w/ a panaflo high speed fan.

Good Choices

What are you going to do after your first 30 days for storage??
Maybe I overlooked it but I could have swore you didn't have the heatsink or fan listed in the signature yesterday.
Either way the components are looking good-Good Luck-Have Fun

I havent decided what i am going to do with this rig yet. Once i see what it will be able to do i will decide what its uses will be. When i first get it, it will be used as mostly websurfing and gaming.

After i build it, i will get another HDD, but i dont think i will need another right away. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: with some of the new cases coming out soon, (antec 180, thermaltake taichi) im not sure what case i want to get until i have a chance to compare.
Which of these will probably be best?

My Thoughts on Case Selection

Case Selection:
Many people make their case selection based on appearance or cheap price. These are the last reasons to be considered when selecting a case.Their are two critical factors that should effect case selection.
The first of these is Air Flow.Over clockers and Toms Hardware both have had excellent articles discussing the heat generated in a computer case.Many people don't realize the temp on top of the cpu roughly approaches that of a rocket engine.Other sources of heat include the hard drive bay,the vid card,the power supply,MB as well as all the other components.When computers were slow they could operate without cpu heatsinks and fans.They cannot do that now.A modern cpu will fry in less than a second without approate heatsink and fan(unless their is a failsafe built into the chip or mb or unless you use water or extreme cooling).Good cases have airflow thru the hard drive bay and across the vid chip as well as onto the mb and across the cpu slot and thru the power supply.Fresh air from outside the case has to cool the heat generated by all the components.The Goal you should aim for is to have the inside case temp the same or as close as possible to the room temp.A Good case attempts this(and comes close).
The second factor to consider is to have enough room inside the case.This includes room for all the components you have now as well as all the components you will add in the future but it also includes enough room that allows you to run all the wiring in a manner that will still allow good air flow with all components installed and the wiring in place.There are other factors that many overlook when purchasing a case.Most people make sure the HD drive bay has enough room for all the hard drives but only the astute buyer insures there is room in the HD bay for all the hard drives and plenty of room to blow air thru the bay to cool the drives.
If you examine most of the better computer builders (not extreme cooling or water)they will have a total close to 10 fans (total) in their cases.(example;2- front fans.side fan,top fan,2-rear fans,cpu fan,vid card fan,Northbridge fan,1 or 2-power supply fans).This is done because you have to move a lot of air to keep a top preforming computer working well.They also often have larger cases to insure that the air flow is not hampered.Cost was not discussed because we discussed the performance factors that are critical to case selection.
Edit: I posted this on an earlier post but I still think it is the way to go.

Looks great, the only thing you want to check is that your DFI sound will not hit the back of the case, i reviewed a ThermalRock case that would not fit my DFI with out modification.

I thought about it for a while, and the Lian Li is probably the best choice. I will add an exaust vent at the top once i get it, and that would be three 120mm running along with 2 80mm fans. The Lian Li seems to be the best choice.

Back