• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues running 3x512 on Nforce2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thedeceiver

Registered
I am having a problem with the 7n400 Pro2 Rev2 board when running dual channel mode with the current ram configuration of 3 sticks of 512mb Corsair Value Select pc3200 ram. Two sticks are off the same line,ie they were part of a dual channel set, and the other was a separate stick to add a little more memory to the system. I am running the ram at stock speeds and voltages. The problem is that the ram gets errors in Memtest86 under dual channel (a handful of errors in test 5), however when i use two sticks in single channel, no errors, or when I use either of the three sticks in single mode. I have tried swapping the ram around but no luck, and I have tried Bios versions FK, and FJ, but no luck. I am thinking that may be the nforce 2 doesn't like this configuration. The timings are 2.5-3-3-8, which are stock timings for all sticks. Right now the system is stable enough to pass Prime95 testing, and boot to windows xp. I dont get any BSODs, however in memory intensive games like Doom3 and Battlefield 2 I do get occassional errors, and crashes to desktop, and its this configuration that is the culprit. Do you have any other suggestions as how to fix this? I have just recently emailed Gigabyte, but lets see what they have to say. I have a hunch that perhaps the nforce2 doesnt like a 3x512 config.

The third stick of ram on channel 2 should equal the amount of ram on channel 1 for DC operation. That would mean 2x512 and 1 gig. However, 3x512 should still be viable. In fact, you still should be able to keep 1 gig in DC while the 512 is SC. The DC slots would be 1 and 3 and the single would be 2. (This is how it works on my A7N8X which is also an nf2 board) If there was a considerable time betwwen the rams manufacture perhaps the newer ram has different chips which are conflicting with the older set.

when i put the 3x512 config it boots, stating ddr channel enabled. it runs, jus not 100percent stable. i have seen others online state that they have the same ram config, and no issues, unless they are bsing. i just wish i could run all sticks in single channel, becuz there are no benefits having dual channel on an athlon xp. thanx for ur suggestion, and im thinking of perhaps gettin a 1gig stick, jus to end this prob

You might have a bum stick. Do they all pass memtest by themselves?

You are right in the nforce2 chipset doesn't like a lot of RAM. Try more vdimm and chipset voltage with the 3x512 setup.

well i think im good right now, after about two days of testing, swapping ram orientations and voltages, etc. Im finally able to run the 3x512 dc setup error free. first i went wit a config that was yielded me the least errors, about a handful in test5. then i got it, but it cost me a lil snappyness, cuz i had to widen my latencies. my stock latencies were 2.5-3-3-8, and it worked wit 2x512 dc, but not 3x512 dc. i upped them to 2.5-4-4-8, and no errors, also at 2.8vdimm(havent checked wit lower voltages). i might bump up my fsb like 2-3mhz to regain my performance, but im happy for now, no more drive lag times in bf2. thanx alot for all ur input.
p.s. this corsair value select ram isnt all that bad, then again, you get what u pay for ;)

Back