• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My upgrade plan in mid to late 2006

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

Heres the new computer I may get in mid to late 2006

cpu: Orleans a64 with 512k cache. Not sure on which model but preferabily under $200. If none are, ill keep waiting.

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

motherboard: socket m2, unsure on brand, whichever has what I need at the right price.

ram: 2x512mb ddr2 with low latency 3-2-2-8 to make my games run very fast

video: If dx10 isnt out, ill probably grab an x700pro cheap. Once dx10 is out, dx9 cards will lose alot of value then I should get a nice x800xl cheap :)

Ill need a new case, psu, hdd, etc but thats basic stuff. I plan to build the new computer from the ground up and give my mom my old a64

I should get at least 35k in 3dmark 2001, possibily even break 40k. I want over 3GHz on the cpu and at least 400MHz 1:1 on the ram. This will make tccd look like a joke as ill have 50% more bandwith vs. tccd. Also theres no reason why I cant get over 3GHz unless amd does alot of speed binning in which ill just wait for yields to improve. I expect my game fps to go up at least 50% higher with my upgrade at 1600x1200 :)

yup, looks like a weiner to me.

what happened to the Conroe wagon you were touting a week or so ago???

your comments on the DDR2 are a bit optimistic, but we have been there before in another thread< RE:Conroe and memory> sometime in the past month.

me, i guess i an gonna stick with the 939 Dual Opties for awhile, they serve me rrather well and look like they will do nicely for some time to come.

good luck on the upgrade, hopefully this time a round you will listen to advise on purchasing from others when you get to asking, if you do you will prolly have more success than you have now, for sure.

baldy

^^Agreed. If you're thinking X700Pro, you might as well just get a 6600GT. However, the X800 would definitely be a better option, but IMO the best choice would be a X800GTO2. The latter when unlocked will be faster than a x800XL as it's basically a X850XT.
I don't really know how well the DDR2 based A64's will fare. Conroe at this point looks to be superior, but of course you really can't say until the CPUs come out.

Also, With your system, I don't really think that an upgrade is necessary until next year, except for the video card perhaps. It sounds like AMD will have something that will beat Conroe by 2007, (K8L) and if you have a Venice now, I don't know how much an upgrade to AM2 will benefit.

hmm, why single core?, seems like a sideways upgrade to me...........

and a big expense for very little, however, knowing you, you have made up your mind and when the time comes we fully expect a barrage of questions on what to get component wise, you will get a bunch of really good advise from a lot of people, then............

then you will probably do what you did last time, get something other than what others had recommended..................

good luck with the upgrade....

baldy

There's no point in planning things so far ahead of time. Prices can change so much in 6 months, and the AM2 prices haven't even been released yet.

And yes, of course go for dual core. Single core would barely be an upgrade.

Back