• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to OC AW8's fsb over 240?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeverWalkAlone

Registered
I met the fsb 240 problem that i can run PD925@fsb240 with stock voltage settings, but cant get 241 even with higher voltage. I saw Deanzo and some others exceeded the limit to 339 with a PD920.
My System:
PD925 SL9KA (Step D0) and SL9D9 (Step C1)
Abit AW8 MAX
Kingmax DDR2 667 1G*2 (Not very good but should be enough for Mem:FSB=1:1)
timing has been set to 5.5.5.15to reduce bottleneck
Temp is not very high, core temp was no more than 40C(usually 30)
I have tried to set the core volt to 1.4, MCH to 1.65.
BIOS from 16 to 19
It seems that it should be a bug but I dont know how to solve it.
If it is the ram, can someone recommend me a brand and model (1G*2) ?
Please reply.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I have not seen many AW8 boards go above 300 FSB. Mine would wimp out above about 290 FSB. Even the less stellar AW8 boards could typically do 275 FSB. I don't know what is going on with yours. You have tried about everything I usually suggest. Maybe back the MCH down to 1.55v or 1.6v. Try using SPD RAM timing temporarily and if you are using low vdimm, try 2.1v or 2.2v. Double check to make sure PCI is set to 33 and PCI-E is set to 100. Maybe your PSU is not up to snuff. What are your load +12v and 3.3v rails? Also check to see how much vcore is undervolting when at load compared to idle. While you are measuring voltages under load, check load temps too.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=111017
I read this
It seems that it is the RAM that made the trouble. At first I thought any 667 would be enough for PD OCing. Probably I was wrong, at least with the AW8.
MCH I tried 1.50 to 1.65. RAM 1.80 to 1.95.
AW8 does not have PCI & PCIE freq lock settings, and someone said that it is locked as default.
PSU should be OK. An NMB460, 460W output. +12V=12.24, +3.3V=3.34. Core vtt has a 0.01-0.02 difference between idle and fully-loaded. Load Temp, 50c at most.
Planning to try a pair of D9, wondering if it worth the price (and at first, solve the problem). Nanya is too difficult to get.

Think they were talking about the AW8D in that thread, but you are right, the AW8 did initially have some RAM compatibility problems. My OCZ rev 2 PC2-4200 would not even boot in my AW8 until they updated the BIOS for the second time. I had thought later BIOS versions had worked out most of the RAM issues, but maybe not. Before you gave up, definitely try more vdimm (memory voltage). Feed it 2.1v or even 2.2v, as long as you have adequate case ventilation, there is no problem giving the RAM more voltage. Some DDR2 RAM is guaranteed up to 2.2v nowadays. I've used up to 2.35v for short term with no ill effects. I've seen others use far more than that, although I prefer to be a little more cautious.

Hi Ya NeverWalkAlone

My 920 was a great chip, and I put my high fsb down to that chip more so than any other part in that set up.

The first chip I had on my AW8 Max was a 640 and the best it would do was 240fsb stable and 250fsb with all the volts under the sun. at 251fsb it would not post or in windows using uguru I'd get a hard lock, 240-250 was far from stable.

Then I picked up the 920 (2nd hand I'd add) and the thing would just fly.
I used the same board, ram, gpu etc etc. so it had to be the chip..well thats what I think any how.

I read lots on the ram issues, so that may have a part to play with yours.

If it was me I'd start with your PSU.
As far as I can tell its way under powered for what you are wanting to do.
If Im looking up the right model it has dual +12V rails both 15A, most if not every one here will tell you to get a good PSU wth a high single +12V rail.
The one in my sig has 40A on the +12V rail, and if you look at batboy sig his has 60A:drool:. Have a read of this

All so can you tell me what you GPU is ? And the full model mumber of your PSU.

If you know what the IC's on the ram is, that would be cool too.

I considered the chip so I changed the CPU. Did you notice that I mentioned 2 chips? One is step C1, and the other one is step D0. They both met the 240 limit (240 stable for default but could not boot into the windows at 241Mhz with any settings), so I think CPU is not the problem.

I did not expect to reach 340 as Deanzo did, but certainly will be depressed with 240 only.

Model number of my PSU is GM460WTXW01SSV. It has dual +12V ouputs. +12Vio 16A, and +12Vdig 18A (AMD edition). The voltage regulator of the PSU should be praised. The output voltages hardly fluctuate in the uGuru monitoring. In fact I bought it for Hi-Fi CD-Audio recording. What a OCer need is stable output, not terrifying wattage, I think.

My graphic card is Galaxy 7900GS (Called Zalman Edition? I am not sure. The one with Zalman VF900 and officially OCed to 550/1600). Powered by the external power supply plug, I think it should not rely on the motherboard power supply very much.

RAM IC: KKEA88B4LAUO-29DX (Quite vague, I am not sure. Not elpida, surely)

Last edited:
batboy said:
definitely try more vdimm (memory voltage)

I still say give that RAM 2.2v and see what happens.

You've hit the same FSB wall with 2 CPUs. It just about has to be a RAM issue.

NeverWalkAlone said:
Did you notice that I mentioned 2 chips? One is step C1, and the other one is step D0.

RAM IC: KKEA88B4LAUO-29DX (Quite vague, I am not sure. Not elpida, surely)

Sorry my bad. Didnt pick up on that.

Just cant seem to find my notes from when I was working on that board, On them I had the revision numbers of my ram moldules as I was asked about this by another member some time ago, I'll have another look for them tomorrow.

Off the top of head I think it went.
Slot 1 Corsair 512MB XMS2-5400C4, Version 1.4, Micron
Slot 2 Corsair 512MB XMS2-5400C4, Version 6.1, Nanya
Slot 3 Corsair 512MB XMS2-5400C4, Version 6.1, Nanya
Slot 4 Corsair 512MB XMS2-5400C4, Version 6.1, Nanya

None of them were sold as sets, Timing left at 4-4-4-12 and 2.1 volts.

As I said all this is off the top of my head, but Im 80% sure the above is right.

Deanzo said:
Off the top of head I think it went.
Slot 1 Corsair 512MB XMS2-5400C4, Version 1.4, Micron
Slot 2 Corsair 512MB XMS2-5400C4, Version 6.1, Nanya
Slot 3 Corsair 512MB XMS2-5400C4, Version 6.1, Nanya
Slot 4 Corsair 512MB XMS2-5400C4, Version 6.1, Nanya

None of them were sold as sets, Timing left at 4-4-4-12 and 2.1 volts.
You get 340 with 4 separately purchased RAMs and One of them was different from the others? :eek:
The world is really unfair:bang head

I have booked a pair of Micron. Arriving in 2 days. I will report the result then.

I just tried high RAM volt, 2.2 and 2.3. Set to 250 in uGuru, it did not give me any chance to run any test but restarted immediately...

Still fail with Kingston 1G*2, Chips=D9DCL. As usuall, 241Mhz= Iron Curtain...
I dont know what's the problem now...
Deanzo, would you please copy the SPD information of your Corsair XMS into a thp file (with Thaiphoon 3.0) and send the file to me?
I am trying whether crossflashing the SPD would solve the problem... Or I have to buy XMS? That seem to be some what luxury...to run at 680 at most...

That should be doable, I sold that board, chip & ram about two weeks ago so I no longer have them.
But part of the deal was for me to build and set it up, and he's very happy with it/me, so he should be Ok with me getting that info off it.
But it wont be till the weekend at best, I'll give him a call when I get home from work tonight.
There's no way he could do it for us, he's a nice guy but if I asked him to push the "Any Key" he would sit there looking for it for hours :)

Thanks a lot!
I am wandering whether this board just cant OC much with double-sided memories? Both the Kingmax and Kingston I tried were double-sided 1GB each slot...
Surely a keyboard with an "any" key would not be affordable to anyone :D

Considering for 4*512 5400C4 (quite afraid of 2*1G)
But only V7.2 (SEC Chips) and V8.1 (MT Chips) available... dont know whether will be unlucky again...

Last edited:
Fail, Fail, Fail...
Yet again I failed as usuall, with 5400C4 V7.2
I am getting used to it.:bang head
Now it seems not the problem of CPU, Memory
Then, the board or PSU (unlikely)? I've got no idea now...
Except for the CPU/Memory freq, Mem Timing, Valtages, is there any other settings in the BIOS may influence OCing?
C1E=Disabled
EIST=Disabled

PS: I have two PCI add in cards. But taking them off did not solve the problem.

Im sitting in front of my old board right now, is there anything you would like me to look up.

I have all so just sent you the thp file you wanted, I think ive done it right if not just let me know.

P.S let me know here as I wont be keeping an eye on the gmail account I set up to send it.

Last edited:
I dont know what to do now

Except for the CPU/Memory freq, Mem Timing, Valtages, is there any other settings in the BIOS may influence OCing?

the THP file is ok, but crossflashing does not take any effect:confused: .

Last edited:
Mmmmmm not good.

When I sold it I set everything to stock, but he now wants a little OC.
As its in a new case lower cfm fans etc, Im just playing around making sure the temp are fine under load.
The setting Im using right now are.

uGuru utility
fsb = 251
multi= X14
estimated cpu=3514
n/b strap= 800
dram DDR2=533 (3:4)
estimated dram 334mhz (DDR2-669)

cpu volts= 1.325
ddr volts= 2.0
mch & pcie= 1.50

bios 16

Advanced Bios Features

*CPU Feature*

limit cpuid maxval = disabled
C1E function = disabled
Execute disable bit = enabled
virtualization = enabled

Advanced Chipset Features

DRAM timing 4-4-4-12
memory hole at 15m-16m = disabled

So far Orthos has been running for 2 hours and 19 minutes.

If there's any thing else I can do/run just ask.

Last edited:
BIOS 16?
Have you ever tried any new bios?
I'll try 16 later, and now 19
but...
Not very hopeful, I think...
Settings are almost the same
except for that PD9X5 does not have the VT function

the temp did not went above 30 in the uGuru display (and the heat sink felt warm only, AVC Napoleon)

failed as usual...
crying...
Have nothing can do now...
Thank Deanzo and batboy for your help...

I know that most boards support PCI lock now but I have a feeling that some frequency or settings (PCI, PCI-E, MCH timings) are causing the problem. Does the board have a 1066 strap setting in the BIOS that you can jump up to?? If not, you may have to try BSEL mod to trick board into starting up at 1066 FSB.

Back