• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just clocked my 2500k to 4.0GHz somewhat referring to this guide, just looking to check if everything is fine and whether I should clock it even further to 4.3GHz or to 4.5GHz even. Mind you, this is my first time ever overclocking so I'm not too experienced when it comes to this stuff.

Some info on my rig:
ASUS P8Z77-V LX
i5 2500k
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 (I've gathered that this is not an excellent cooler, but still beats the stock one)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz

My CPU temps before clocking were around 38-41c idle and 48-50c under stress. I followed this guide except for that I set the frequency to 4.0GHz, CPU voltage to 1.2V and LLC to 25%. Didn't find an option to disable C5, only C1E, C3 and C6, of which I disabled C1E (and EIST as well). I ran Prime95 on blend for about 2 hours (probably going to run it overnight later) and got no issues whatsoever. Below are the details from HWMonitor during that stress test. Would love to know if there's anything to worry about or anything to tweak and whether there would be any potential for overclocking even further and if so, would I have to bump up the voltage or increase the LLC?

F04DlgO.png

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Everything looks great from the HM. If you're stable in P95 (no errors) then I'd say keep bumping up incrementally. I personally like to stay around 1.35v Vcore and as far under 90c core temp as your cooler will allow. Some will say 1.4v is safe and they may be right but in my case there's just no need to go above 1.35v for daily use.

Good to know. I bumped the voltage up to 1.3V and I'm at 4.3GHz at the moment, P95 ran for 10h with no errors last night with the temps reaching 70-71c at most. Think I'm going to stick with this for now.

Good to know. I bumped the voltage up to 1.3V and I'm at 4.3GHz at the moment, P95 ran for 10h with no errors last night with the temps reaching 70-71c at most. Think I'm going to stick with this for now.

That is great, you are doing fine.:)

Hi I found this thread through google, it's been amazing help for a newbie like myself.

I've only run stability checks for an hour but I'd like to see if everything looks OK to you guys.

No BSOD or crashes yet starting with 1.35v. Just wondering where I should go from here...I don't fully understand the varying voltages.

Followed pretty much everything in the opening guide that I could find.

Cheers guys

Rig is:

i7 2600k
Asus p8z68-v
2 x 4gb KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DDR3 1600MHz
Coolermaster Hyper 212

OC Readings.png

Sharp 89 that looks good 1.344v max is what my sandy bridge used for 4.5GHz overclock. What settings are you using for Vcore in Bios?

Ah good to hear!

I only set the CPU voltage manually at 1.35v and the RAM at 1.65v...everything else I left at auto.

That is great for settings for 24/7 overclock. I if you wan't the power saving features you can set Adaptive offset. Example Adaptive + 0.075 = 1.332.

For memory you don't have to set the voltage you can just set XMP (Extreme memory profile) and it will set voltage, timings, subtimings, memory overclock speed.

Encountered a few problems whilst tweaking with RAM. One thing I noticed was it defaults it to 1333mhz.
Couldn't get a stable overclock for ages, even after going back to my original effort of 4.5Ghz overclock settings.
Would get to around 10 mins with P95 blend test before BSOD, so did some further reading and adjusted the following.

Internal PLL Voltage > ENABLED (Originally set to AUTO) I tried turning this off but couldn't boot to Windows so Enabled it in the end.
CPU Spread Spectrum > DISABLED (Originally set to AUTO)
Load Line Callibration > Ultra High (Originally set to High)

Have been running P95 for an hour so far at 4.5Ghz and CPU voltage back at 1.35, going to keep it running for a few more hours fingers crossed.
Only negative I can see at the moment is it's running slightly hotter, temps seem to be hitting 69c.

Is there anything else I should be looking for that will help stabilize it, if it fails again?

Thanks

Let's begin:

** Restart/start your computer, Enter the bios, usually by repeatedly pressing Delete. Overclock in your bios. Do not use a windows based overclocker as the results do not tend to be as good.***

1 Set overclock tuner, sometimes called differently, to manual.

2 Set max turbo ratio to 45. Enter your ram section. Enter the timings (your ram timings for the ram you bought. ie, 7 7 7 24 or 9 9 9 28 etc) . Leave the rest of the 'sub timings' on 'auto' Leave the RAM speed at AUTO unless it is miss reading (ie you have 1600 reading as 1333). In that case enter the correct number (ie 1600)

3 Go to the voltage section. Set CPU and RAM to manual. Leave the rest of the voltages AUTO. The RAM should be set to the 'sticker voltage', ie, 1.5v. The CPU, set to 1.35V (for sandybridge 2XXX cpus), and about 1.25V (for Ivybridge 3XXX cpus)

4 Find Load Line Calibration, or LLC. Set it to 50%. If it is in levels, 5/10 or 3/5.

5 Go to CPU features turn off C5 C1 and EIST / Speedstep . Some CPUs/boards will still hold this OC with speedstep left on. I suggest you turn it off for now. Also turn off any power saving features. You may also disable virtualization if you will never use it. Note that, SOME CPUS may require CPU PLL overvoltage to be turned on to hit 4.5Ghz. It is unlikely.

6 (optional) Go to onboard devices and shut off anything you arent using (USB3/Firewire controllers, extra LAN controllers, Extra SATA controllers)

Please note:
*Less than 5% of CPUs according to a published test by Asus will need more than 1.35V or refuse 4.5Ghz altogether. 80% need LESS than 1.35.

[/B]
THAT'S IT!
Save changes. Exit, restart and enter windows and now run stability tests to make sure it went ok.

I tried to follow this guide but I still have no clue what to do when I'm in the bios without screenshots or more detail. The only thing I am able to do in the bios is to change the CPU clock ratio to 42 (for 4.2 ghz) but I'm completely lost as to where to go in the bios after that.

1 Set overclock tuner, sometimes called differently, to manual. I'm not seeing this option

2 Set max turbo ratio to 45. Enter your ram section. Enter the timings (your ram timings for the ram you bought. ie, 7 7 7 24 or 9 9 9 28 etc) . Leave the rest of the 'sub timings' on 'auto' Leave the RAM speed at AUTO unless it is miss reading (ie you have 1600 reading as 1333). In that case enter the correct number (ie 1600) Under what option in the Bios is this found? Turbo ratio for what?

If someone can please help I will greatly appreciate it.

---

Hello people,

I decided to clock my 2700k to 4.5Ghz and test its stability in the coming weeks since i will be buying a 1080ti ( Will upgrade mobo,cpu,ram later ).

I followed the guide and clocked it to 4.5Ghz with 1.35V and Ram at 1600Mhz at 1.5V.
While the pc has been operating normaly since last night i am having a serious issue.

I am using a Corsair H100i but the temps are just not right.
With the cooler at the same exact settings ''fixed rpm'' i had ~40C before OC and now i am looking at ~50C

I tried a cpu burn test and as soon as i start it all cores go to +90 and throttle starts which takes the multiplier down to as low as 25.

Now what i don't understand is that i am turning the H100i at full speed and the temps of the cpu stay there, they don't move at all.

Same thing when not under load they stay at ~50 even if i go full speed on the cooler.

It feels that the cooler is somehow not working properly.

I would appreciate some help with that !

Build.png

Try re-mounting your cooler and replace the TIM. You may just have a bad mount.

Looking at your HWMonitor I'm see a max temp of 67c. That's not a bad number. Where are you seeing 90+?

Try re-mounting your cooler and replace the TIM. You may just have a bad mount.

Looking at your HWMonitor I'm see a max temp of 67c. That's not a bad number. Where are you seeing 90+?

Here i let it run for ~1m with fans at the same speed as before.

ct low fan.png

Then 100% on both fans and photo 3 mins later.

ct high fans.png

Did you just set the voltage to 1.35v or do you really need that. You might be able to drop that voltage a bit and save on the heat. As it is right now you're running too hot and I see the throttling. How's the airflow through the case.

I set the Voltage directly, you are right about reducing it but my main concern right now is that i cannot regulate the temps at all through my cooler.
Either 40% rpm or 100% gives me the exact same temps.
I tried it even when cpu was idle and had same results.

I set the Voltage directly, you are right about reducing it but my main concern right now is that i cannot regulate the temps at all through my cooler.
Either 40% rpm or 100% gives me the exact same temps.
I tried it even when cpu was idle and had same results.

Did you re-mount your cooler as requested?

What about the airflow through your case as Johan asked?
To that point, what case and what fans?

Back