• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap (yet okay) motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ardvahn

Registered
Looking for a low-range motherboard for the 775 socket, that still is okay when it comes to general quality and performance.
Anyone know a good one?

Thanks in advance

You planning on overclocking?

These if not ocing:
ECS
Biostar
Intel

These if you do:
Asus
Gigabyte
DFI

btw Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for your answer. :)

I'm probably not gonna overclock this one, it will not be my computer alone.

I don't suppose MSI are any good?
Found a "MSI P31 NEO-F, P31" which had a good price.

Ok, will keep my eyes open.

Btw, I am at a loss concerning the PCI-e 2.0 motherboards.
The national (Swedish) sites I've checked all state that the 775 socket motherboards are PCI-e x16, even the really high-end ones, can't seem to find one that supports 2.0.

Are there at all any socket 775 (DDR2) motherboards that support PCI-e 2.0? Any low-range ones?

a p45 board should suit you well , it's the newest chipset, has all the newest features you'd want (except crossfire at 16xlink but you don't need it i assume) and they don't cost a lot of money. check the asus p5q series , has pci-e 2.0 and ddr2

Thanks.

P45 are too expensive though, I am thinking of something about half the price. I will just buy a new mobo when the PCI-e 2.0 standard reaches the cheaper range of motherboards I guess.

I believe the nvidia 750i boards have been on sale lately. Those support PCI-E 2.0. I can't say if they are any good or not though.

Exactly. Too expensive for this particular computer at the moment.
It is not my money, I'm building it for other people in the household, I am just trying to get a price for a system that can handle contemporary games.
Future expansion possibilities is nice, but when that time comes I guess it's probably time to get a motherboard for a new socket anyway.
I just thought that there would be some really cheap motherboard with PCI-e 2.0, apparently not.

Also, p45's are more expensive in Sweden.

You could probably pickup a used P965 or P35, but I wouldn't try to sell anything out of the classifieds, that is just stupid (hint, hint gov)

Back