• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 PSU's ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silverstain

Registered
I just saw a modded case with 2 PSU's. Is this worth it or not? I figure 1 psu can control the system, while the other controls the fans and other "extras." If this is a good idea, whats better: 2x 300 watt PSU's, or 1 strong 600 watt PSU?

I can comment on this......My dad, has a full tower case, and he has to PSU's, he has 2- 300 watts......one of the psu's is used for powering the mobo, and the other is used just to run fans alone, the reason he did that is, according to him, it dont pull to much from just one psu, it splits it up, my opinion, better that way, and also, I have seen numerous places that you can get (2) name brand psu's cheaper than (1) 600 brand name psu, maybe just me, but I will always go with 2- 300's, though I would give my opinion

Also, maybe this has happened to my dad and I alone, but....with one 300 psu, with us.....we could not get the full cfm of the fans either, we are running 6 case fans by sunon, my personnal opinion, I think it is better for overclocking too, worked EXTREMELY WELL FOR US

Is it possible to use one psu to power the mobo and another one just for the harddrives,cd-roms etc? Or is it just possible to use one psu for the fans and another one for everything else? Casue the harddrives and mobo for example are connected to each other. The same goes for cd-drives.

good call slougi

that is what we did, one for just fans, and one for everything else, works very well....fans does use alot of volts, and with six, it worked better this way, also, let's say that somehow something happened to your psu that you had running the fans, and it fried them, it would not bother anything else, we had that problem too when we tried this with to cheap psu's, so we got (2) by antec

Well you used one for fans and one for the other stuff right?
What I want to do is use one for the mobo, and another one for all drives. Would that work as well?
I don't have any fans btw, except the psu :D

My first question is...You dont have no fans?????????

I will not say yes it wont work, but I wont say it wont either, I have never tried it. But.... in my experience, I dont really see the point in it, because the drives are connected to the motherboard, that is where the drives get their juice, that is why I used the 2nd psu for the fans.......................right now, I cannot think of anyway to power the mobo seperately from the drives..

does anyone else agree, or have anyone else dont it?

Umm don't u plug molex connectors into the drives????
And no I don't have any fans, I am water-cooled :p

Go to OcUK and go to overclocking accessories/hardware (where the memory cooling kits are) and there is a device which allows as many PSU's as you want in a daisy chain, the device powers them on all at the same time.

Otherwise you would have to either mod one of them, or turn them on and off manually inside the case!

Good Luck

Nick

Last edited:
Can you explain how you trick the second psu into running, because it needs to think it is plugged into the mobo. I read about it somewhere, but i don't really remember how its done.

2 PSU's

It is possible to run two PSU's. I am doing it as I type. 1 runs my MOBO and CD's and HDD's. 2 runs all my fans and Digital Doc 5. If you go to the MOBO connector from the PSU and look for the green wire, plug a piece of wire into the green and go to a black wire. Then plug the PSU into a wall receptacle and it will come on. You can turn it on with the switch on back of PSU or u can plug it into a multi switch surge protector that turns on 4 or 5 different components with seperate switches. You can then plug your fans or whatever into the 2nd powersupply.
good luck

Silverstain said:
Can you explain how you trick the second psu into running, because it needs to think it is plugged into the mobo. I read about it somewhere, but i don't really remember how its done.
Try HERE Real good article on attaching two PSUs together. Did it myself, and it works great. I use one PSU for the mobo and drives, other for case fans and watercooling setup(pump and fans)

I read the article. I understand how he hooks it up, but then what do you do? How do you power your fans through the one psu, and everything else on the other?

What I did was build a fanbus, using a job box fron Radio Shack, and RCA connections. I connected a Molex connector to it for power from the PSU, and using RCA plugs, I can easily connect and disconnect any fans or 12v peripherals. You can also, if you choose, hook various drives up to the second PSU in the regular manner. For a good article on how to use RCA plugs, look through Tips and Techniques for the article on an external fan connection. To find out how to make a fanbus go HERE

Back