• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The best motherboard for i7 860 + OC ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Piospi

Registered
Hi guys

I am a beginner, I decided to i7 860. I was thinking about memory G. Skill Trident 2x4 GB 2000 MHZ. Is it a good choice? Is there anything better for the same price?

I would like to ask you, what is the best motherboard for OC ??

I was thinking about:

EVGA Classified
EVGA FTW 200
EVGA FTW
Asus Rampage Formula II

What power supply should be? BQ 750W ??

I will have water cooling, thanks for answers.

I am greeting!!:):)

Don't try to put an 860 in a Rampage you're gonna end up with bent pins ( not the same socket) The Maximus III Formula is pretty good and I;m testing an EVGA P55 Classified right now (look for the thread in the Intel mobo section)

chuck4456 - i have 350$

icebob - sorry, not versed in these tests :( I do not know whether these tests, the EVGA is better ?

The P55 is fun to play with but no contender for the X58 platform IMO, any average 920 will outrun a good 860 with HT enabled, if you do not care for HT then get a i5-750 with a $150 board which will fall withing your budget.

You could get an Asrock X58 extreme for $169, I have one and it clocks really good, with a 920 which will provide you will a solid tri-channel RAM system and a 24/7 8 thread CPU off 4-4.2 Ghz which is very achievable.

sry, I ordered i7 860:(

i need good mobo for i7 860

920 + mobo + triple channel =
quite expensive

sry, I ordered i7 860:(

i need good mobo for i7 860

920 + mobo + triple channel =
quite expensive

just getting into P55 myself I have looked over a few boards
I really like the Maximus III, easy overclocker and very stable, if your budget allows I would at least consider it

I asked why it? because, the money I spend on something else. So, whether the issue is the meaning behind ???

Pity you did not post here before you bought the 860, as I said, the X58 platform is the more superiors one. In any event, you should go for a Maximus III, Gigabyte UD6 or EVGA Classifieds, these are the kings of P55.

There is a Gigabyte UD6 for sale in the Classifieds section for very cheap, you need 100 posts though to access it.

GIGABYTE UD6

+1 GIGABYTE UD6. I got an 860 to 4.4 stable with it. A sweet motherboard.

gigaud644i7860sli285HToff.png

There is a Gigabyte UD6 for sale in the Classifieds section for very cheap, you need 100 posts though to access it.

Yes, you can find it in the classifieds !

Go ahead and have some fun with that 860.
HOKIE is using the EVGA P55 SLI - think it's the next one down from the Classified, with an 860. He has a thread on it somewhere.
So the P55s are missing a QP connection and the CPUs offer one less 64 bit memory channel. So what.
Even the i750s are benching right up there with 920s and they don't even have HT! And with DUAL CHANNEL memory!!!
It's still early in the game.
That GIG P55 UD4P looks like a good one - it's 169.00 with free shipping. Should leave you enough for a good memory kit.

Back