• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice on buying or building a new gaming computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexgamer

Hey I'm wanting to get a new gaming rig before bf3 officially comes out, any advice ? I have been considering building my own because I also use my desktop for video editing, but my new egg checkout always to end up being around $5k! plus im not all that great with knowing which hardware goes with what. I'm considering buying an Alienware but the thought of owning a dell makes me cringe. Also I hear the i7 is good for gaming but the Xeon is good for video editing. What should I do? What are the best companies to buy a computer like this from? Ideally my budget for my new pc is around $3500.

I like the Talon from Falcon NW and the Killer Rampage from www.gamingpc.net. The only thing is that nothing on these sites say anything about their gaming computers being able to handle video editing.

You'll certainly go Sandybridge for a new rig. I5 is good for gaming, but if you wanna cut times in multi-threaded applications(editing) as well, then you can get a I7 2600k rig. Someone will post a rig details soon i guess.

A CPU is a CPU is a CPU when it comes to gaming and videoediting. Meaning no difference between the Xeon and its same clocked counterpart. With that said, lets see if we can build you a rig.

What is your budget? Do you need OS? Monitor? Keyboard/Mouse?

EDIT: Saw your budget..

What video editing application(s) do you use?

I have two dell ultrasharp 30" flatscreens, and im about to get a third when I get this pc.. but really all I need is the unit.

Awh. And I was about to get 3 3D screens. Anyway. Well, the $500 headphones are because I really couldn't think of anything else to spend money on. I guess you could drop the sound stuff and go for two 6990s, they're always out of stock whenever I check.

You can RAID0 the Spinpoint's together and cache it with the Vertex 2, extremely fast storage while everything else is on the SATAIII SSD.

EDIT: Forgot the CPU cooler, might want to grab one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209054&Tpk=antec 920

The more reasonable route would to not go with such an extravagant build and put a custom watercooling loop in it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    55.3 KB · Views: 132
^
Looks fantastic but I'd lose the RAID-0 array. Could be precious memories stored on there that are nowhere else. Array goes up in smoke. Not good. Video editing and raid don't go together in my personal opinion. I find RAID likes to fail when you put important things on there. Otherwise it'll go for years.

SLIed GTX580s on a 750W PSU? Not to mention with the tri-slot coolers, you have no slots left on the UD5 for the Revodrive. I already looked into it in another thread, there is no LGA1155 board that you can SLI tri-slot coolers and have a slot for the Revodrive. Only board it would even fit in is the Big Bang, but that slot is limited to x1 so you'd bottleneck it anyway.

One 580, overclcoked, barely broke 450W in my review. But it is a bit close and an upgrade would be better for a client PC.

And you are correct, that is a larger than 2 slot cooler, so those selections would have to change to a normal cooler.

Great catch man. :)

EDIT: So you can either ditch the Revo and go back with Vertex3, or select 580's with a normal cooler on it.

I am a huge AMD fan. Loved it when they were kicking Intel's *** in the 64-bit and P4 days but anyone who has any whits, can see that the obvious CPU performance crown goes to Intel with the new Sandy Bridge chips. I am building my new rig with the i5 2500K, Gigabyte UD3 Z68 mATX B3 SLI/CrossfireX, AMD 6950 2GB or the XFX XXX Edition which only has 1 GB but its faster, 8 GB G. Skills RipJaws DDR3, OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB, OEM generic 1-2 TB HDD, OEM SATA DVD burner, and an OCZ 700 Watt PSU. Its a pretty good budget rig. If you already have a case your good to go. If you already have RAM, HDD and power supply, which I'm assuming most of you do, this build can be as cheap as $550 bucks. My sources are MicroCenter and newegg.com. Buy the CPU and case and HDD at Microcenter, get everything else at newegg. Microcenter just has a limited selection of Z68 motherboards and the like. Hope this helps

Well, Thubans and the previous i5, i7s still are close. But yeah number crunching favored intel for a long time now. Ppl might think why I got 1090t then, it's because I had this board for 1.5 years when they added thuban support and you can't just ignore a 6 core cpu when you can put in your system without upgrading anything. AMD simply meant this for lotsa ppl, well not anymore :/

Not really. No. C2D is a little better than THuban. Core i architecture was faster than C2D...so.....

Back