• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Look Flounder.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingslayer

Flounder you seem to be pretty knowledgeable with these ECS boards. So here goes my theory.

There is something bad wrong with these boards. With the errors that I am getting along with others. I'm seeing alot of win32k.sys errors on ECS boards, here and on the internet, stock and overclocked.

Everyone seems to say the same thing. It's your powersupply. Well I'm going to say bull. It's not that. I have a 430W Enermax running my motherboard and a Deer 300W running my drives and fans. 730 Watts of clean power and I still get the errors and problems I have since day one. It also seems to happen only on the XP chips which need more and cleaner power than the Duron and the Athlon.

I IS a power issue, but it's not in the PSU. There is something wrong with these boards on the power side of the house. I don't know if it's inferior caps or what, but this is something that we need to look into and wring ECS's neck about.

There are too many people having the exact same problems on DIFFERENT MODELS of ECS boards for this to be a coincidence.

This is weird. I just came across the post you followed up to here and I am also getting the feeling these boards are abit buggy with the XP Series? Anyone with the K7S5A, have you experienced these problems? If so I will stop recommending them as a stock motherboard.

I ran a XP1700+ @ 1650mhz (11x150fsb) on my k7s5a mbo since last OCt until a few weeks ago when I got my a7v333. Same system in my sig and never got that error message.

I agree that there have been some posts lately that sound similar to each other.

I do know this: My 5 K7S5A's have been good.
I also have 2 cheap Amptron mobo's that have worked out well. (Basically the some company, along with PCChips, I think.)

However, these are cheap, bargain mobo's, and I wouldn't doubt some kind of quality problem. Let's look around and see what models and what symptoms we are experiencing...

WinXP is another common denominator I have seen. But I have seen reports on the web on this happening in Win98 and 2K. Which once again put me back to AMD XP being the culprit.

But people have ECS boards and don't have these problems.

Could be a date thing. Could be a bad lot of something, and the newer boards have a new lot of whatever is ailing the old boards.

Most of the problems that I see are with the K7VZA 3.0, which is really shakey with XP's. As a matter of fact I am taking my XP out of this board and putting in a 1.1 Ghz in instead.

I have a simple theory for everything.

It happens once its a fluke.
It happens twice its a coincidence.
It happens three times, its a problem!

Kingslayer your definitely on the trail. These have only happened (Or at least what I read) to the K7VZA 3.0. I don't know what could possibly causing this, so it's a buggy board I guess. Kingslayer, are you putting in a Morgan or a Thunderbird? I wonder if it'd happen with a Morgan since it is XP technology without the copper core, and less cache.

Yodums

I am currently in 'control' of 6 boards and going to get another in the next two weeks (4 are owned by friends i built comps for) and there hasnt been a hint of problems...

And Yodums, I would say that this motherboard is not just a good stock one, if you flash the bios, its a good low overclock mobo too! Just doesnt like going over 150FSB without a volt mod it appears.

Yodums,

I know next to nothing about the new generations AMD's. The chip I have is a 1800+ AGOIA (i think). This was to be my first AMD experience and I'm really trying not to let this problems spoil the experience, but as you can sure understand it's not easy.

I'm buying an 1.1 Ghz AMD from a buddy and I'm going to put that on this board because I think it will run better. I plan on getting a new MSI for this 1800+.

But that still doesn't help the other people that are having this same problem. Is it something worth investigating. Yes. Will we accomplish anything through ECS? Probably not as this is more than likely a motherboard hardware issue and will require hard repair if my hunch is right. If we're lucky it can be fixed with a bios flash but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Back