Can I overclock an Emachine eMonster 500a?

Hi, It's been a long time since I've posted here... And alot has changed in that time. This time I am trying to overclock my father's current computer: An eMachine eMonster 500a which has an Intel Pentium III Slot 1 CPU at 500 mhz... I would like to know if its at all possible to overclock this particular machine... Thanks.

highly doubtful
    Case: corsair carbide 500r
    Power: antec hcg-900
    CPU: i7- 4930k @ 4.1
    Mobo: asus x79 deluxe
    Ram: 8gb g.skill trident pc2400
    Video: 2x evga gtx-780's
    Sound: sound blaster x-fi titanium fatal1ty
    Cooling: corsair h110
    HDD: samsung 840 pro 128gb, intel 530 80gb,WD caviar black 500gb

try cpuFSB i think its called

your chances of OCing that machine...even using a software program is about less then 1%...for the simple fact you will need to know the exact details of certain things using software programs and most companys do not put the PLL and such so you can read them...and there is no way to OC it using the BIOS since it has a locked BIOS...

Registered
    Obviously the manufacturer doesn't make their own motherboards... so try and find out what it is (like, what it initially was) and re-flash it with the bios for it (the real board's bios)... although, this is risky, may screw up...

I dont recommend it at all. Since you're not absolutely sure what the board originally was, it isn't too smart to try to reflash the bios. I'd say it's too big of a risk, and with a machine like that I'm not so sure what your yields would be... lol

Registered
    Hence why I said it was risky... I'd only do it if you are 99% sure of what board it is (look for common components... HSF on northbridge etc).

Originally posted by WobbZ
    Obviously the manufacturer doesn't make their own motherboards... so try and find out what it is (like, what it initially was) and re-flash it with the bios for it (the real board's bios)... although, this is risky, may screw up...
    This wont work since the BIOS's wont match up...it will give you the BIOS codes do not match up error when trying to flash them...the MB makers and OEM makers have already made sure that no one can do this...this is why softFSB and a few other software OCing programs were made...that is why you will need the PLL and such for those programs...

10 Year Badge
    I doubt you can. Even so you will only get a small increase with cpufsb. 33mhz tops?
    OLD Rig/Too lazy to update newer rig
    Intel I7 920 @4.0ghz | Prolimatech Megahalems | Asus P6T | 12 gigs OCZ GOLD DDR3 1600 | ATI Saphire 4870 X2 2gig
    60gig OCZ Vertex SSD, 1Tb WD BE | Audigy 2 ZS Plat | Klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 speakers | Cooler Master CM-830 Stacker

Backup Rig
    Intel C2Q Q6600 | Asus P5W-DH Deluxe | 4 gigs G.Skill DDR2 800 | Nvidia 8800 GTX
    750gig

My Heat

Originally posted by glock19owner
    your chances of OCing that machine...even using a software program is about less then 1%...for the simple fact you will need to know the exact details of certain things using software programs and most companys do not put the PLL and such so you can read them...and there is no way to OC it using the BIOS since it has a locked BIOS...
    You can just take a look at the PLL chip on the motherboard and see which model it is and whether its supported by a software OCing program. In this way, I was able to overclock a Compaq Presario. Even some PLLs which aren't supported can be overclocked, such as the ICS952601 used by Dell and I've overclocked a Dell Dimension 4600 successfully.

That is if they list the PLL...I have worked on quite a few emachines and have only come across one or two where the PLL was actually listed...that is why I stated that there was still a 99% chance or so that they wouldnt beable to OC it even with a software program...but hey if there emachine has the PLL listed on the MB then they have a better chance...but still no gart. that the software program will still OC it...

10 Year Badge
    my dad uses an eMonster 500a. and I can't get it to overclock! no chance using the bios and no chance using a program like softFSB! sorry to tell you that! lol - thats why I build my own!
    |Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz (1333Mhz FSB)|Shuttle SG33G5|ASUS Radeon 4850 (1GB DDR3)|Kingston 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 HyperX|250GB Maxtor(MaXLine Plus II)|Windows XP Home|Windows Vista Home 32bit|

10 Year Badge
    The e-machines usually have Trigem mobos. Not worth even trying to O/C.
    2600K, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 2X2GB G.Skill Pi PC3-2133, PC & Cooling 750W
    watercooled: Eheim 1048 pump, Swiftech Apogee GTX and 2X120mm rad
    FS020 case, OCZ SSD, Sapphire HD 6950, Acer X241W 24" widescreen

My first overclock ever was about a year ago on my old p2 slot 1 @300mhz....it was in a HP pavilion ????.....using my soldering iron i was able to unlock the fsb (its complicated to explain all this and i have a thread about it somewhere)....what im trying to say is if i oced my 300MHZ p2 in my HP computer, if you try hard, you might be able to get the e-machine to oc...im not sure if its worth the time....i did my p2 overclock just for fun of ocing the old fashioned way (w/ jumpers)...good luck

edit: wow i have bad grammar....sorry if that was ahrd to follow...not enough time to fix...sorry

|LIAN LI PC-65<<rip off|
    |ABIT NF7-S rev 2.0|
    |Advanced Micro Devices 2500+ mobile @ 2.36GHZ cooled by Thermalright SLK 947U and AS5|
    |ATI 9600XT|
    |512 MB of Corsair XMS PC-3200 @ 2-2-2-6| I Pack Heatware

I also have a 500a that runs slow with winxp and I was wondering if a cpu upgrade would help. The motherboard is from an manufacturer with no support. Thanks in advance.

it could help, but i wouldnt recommend it too much. You'll be better of IMO building a new pc. But again thats my opinion

Originally posted by bximplant
    I also have a 500a that runs slow with winxp and I was wondering if a cpu upgrade would help. The motherboard is from an manufacturer with no support. Thanks in advance.
    The only way youd probably be able to do a processor upgrade was if you new your motherboard spec and settings. Youd be better off just biulding a cheap athlon xp system.
    2.4c
    Abit Ic7-g
    1 gig of mushkin bh6
    Radeon 9800pro vmod + sk6 hs and ramsinks.
    wd 80gig 8mb cache
    OCZ 420 psu

Oh, and the best thing i think you shoudl do to get better performance in xp would be to get more system memory. It probably uses sdram which can be had for about $30 for 128mb. Id reccomend getting one or two sticks of the stuff since you mobo only supports up to 256mb. You can get cheap prices off pricewatch if you know exactly what memory you need or you can buy it off crusial or kingston and youll know for sure your getting the right stuff for a few bucks more.

www.pricewatch.com
    www.kingston.com
    www.crucial.com
    2.4c
    Abit Ic7-g
    1 gig of mushkin bh6
    Radeon 9800pro vmod + sk6 hs and ramsinks.
    wd 80gig 8mb cache
    OCZ 420 psu

I have the identical system like yours. Listen carefully, this is what I did to make my computer go faster.

I bought another computer.

Ok, lets get serious now. I did have the identical system. Like the rest of the guys said, you can't overclock it. First of all, the bios is locked, just like Dell's system. What this meant is that you don't have the option to change the FSB or increase the Vcore. I also tried the hardware overclock. That mobo is the old type, and also requires you to move some jumpers to set the clock speed. I did that, and nothing changed.

Unless it's an alienware, you can't overclock any manufacturer's computers. That have to do this to protect themselves. PIII is sooooo outdated already and you can't play any of the games today (at least at a decent resolution). Even P 4 are almost outdated. Intel is going to release their next generation CPUs latest by the end of the 2nd quarter this year.

If you can't wait, wait a little longer until the next generation CPU's and standard is release. But this wait can be as long as 6 months. If you can't, go get a P4 2.4C or the AMD Barton 2500, with a very powerful video card. These will be your options for now, at least this is what I think.
    Sager NP9170
    17.3” Full HD (1920x1080) Matte LED-Backlit Display
    AMD Radeon HD 680M 256bit w/4GB GDDR5
    Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM (2.6~3.6GHz) w/6M L3 Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
    16GB (4x4GB) DDR3/1600 Dual Channel Memory
    Crucial 128GB SSD (M4) SATA III Solid-State Drive 500GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive