• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking intel celeron 400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I

Iceman

i have an intel celeron 400 and want to know if it can be over clocked. yes i can monitor the temp and volt. i am not sure if there is jumper settings for it but the bios is change able. the mother board will go up to a 533. It is aopen MX3W board.

Welcome Iceman,
Take a look onto your Mobo manual on how to rise the Fsb freq (probably into the section of Bios called Cpu Setting), coz the Cpu multiplier is locked, and unlockable!
You can set Fsb on 75Mhz for 450Mhz (better), and 83Mhz for 500Mhz (not suggested for the higher Pci frequency).

I hope it helps you :)

Iceman (Jul 22, 2001 10:22 a.m.):
i have an intel celeron 400 and want to know if it can be over clocked. yes i can monitor the temp and volt. i am not sure if there is jumper settings for it but the bios is change able. the mother board will go up to a 533. It is aopen MX3W board.

Yeah it can be overclocked. I have one myself. I have it at 450Mhz which should be no problem to get...It is that 500Mhz that has been keeping me down. I think it needs more voltage. As for going with 100Mhz FSB I don't recommand it...mine won't even post...I get no screen at all and have to pull my CMOS to clear the settings. Good Luck!

Check and see if you have an fsb of 80 available. You will need some good cards that can work at a 40mhz PCI speed but I have not had to many problems reaching this speed with good cards. 83 though many times is enough to push thinga over the edge but is worth a shot anyway.

The limit of the Celeron core is 600mhz (with a little luck) unless you supercool. I have 2 servers both dual celeron systems on BP6's. One has dual 500's at 600 with a fsb of 80 the other dual 366's at 572 with af sb of 104. All 4 cpu's are running at 2.1 volts. You should be able to get similar results with a little tweaking.

I was playing around with one of these last night and was able to push it to 93FSB (558) stable... well, stable for the short while that I ran it there. 96FSB (576) would throw a Win error at me every once in a while. 100, as mentioned above wouldn't POST. These were at default voltages.

Also, regarding clearing CMOS settings to enable the machine to post again: I occasionally get a severe lockup where the system won't post. I've found that I can unplug the power cord from the PSU and leave it out for a few seconds. This somehow allows the CPU to initialize at default setting when I power on again. Maybe this will work for someone else. Give it a go.

Godfodda (Jul 26, 2001 08:16 p.m.):
I was playing around with one of these last night and was able to push it to 93FSB (558) stable... well, stable for the short while that I ran it there. 96FSB (576) would throw a Win error at me every once in a while. 100, as mentioned above wouldn't POST. These were at default voltages.

Also, regarding clearing CMOS settings to enable the machine to post again: I occasionally get a severe lockup where the system won't post. I've found that I can unplug the power cord from the PSU and leave it out for a few seconds. This somehow allows the CPU to initialize at default setting when I power on again. Maybe this will work for someone else. Give it a go.

True, but since I run with my case off anyways I just yank the CMOS jumper...I know where it is by heart...can you tell I don't have it in my thick head that it won't post at 100FSB. How did you get that baby that high. Every time I go for 500 it won't fully load windows. I think it needs more voltage but my mobo doesn't allow me to mess with it. Any ideas? I know it will do it...I got it there once...long enough to benchmark even.

Sir-Epix (Jul 26, 2001 10:15 p.m.):
True, but since I run with my case off anyways I just yank the CMOS jumper...I know where it is by heart...can you tell I don't have it in my thick head that it won't post at 100FSB. How did you get that baby that high. Every time I go for 500 it won't fully load windows. I think it needs more voltage but my mobo doesn't allow me to mess with it. Any ideas? I know it will do it...I got it there once...long enough to benchmark even.

Damn, third time I've tried to reply. Maybe it'll work this time.

Are you shooting for 83 FSB? Don't know what options your MB offers, but my VH6-2 allows 1MHz increments from 66 to 200. If you can do the same, try 84. The PCI divider jumps to 1/3 there instead of the 1/2 at 83. I didn't even try 83, but 84 was no problem. Temp at 576 (96x6) after a 3DMark run was only at 37C, too.

BTW, I said previously that it wouldn't POST at 100. I was wrong. It did POST but halted on loading ME. It was 124 where it wouldn't POST. Well, that's the next logical step when it won't load at 100, right? :D

When I get the replacement system built for the one that holds that little bugger, I'm going to spend a little time trying to burn it up. I just know it can hit 600. :)

Godfodda (Jul 27, 2001 12:13 p.m.):
Sir-Epix (Jul 26, 2001 10:15 p.m.):

Damn, third time I've tried to reply. Maybe it'll work this time.

Are you shooting for 83 FSB? Don't know what options your MB offers, but my VH6-2 allows 1MHz increments from 66 to 200. If you can do the same, try 84. The PCI divider jumps to 1/3 there instead of the 1/2 at 83. I didn't even try 83, but 84 was no problem. Temp at 576 (96x6) after a 3DMark run was only at 37C, too.

BTW, I said previously that it wouldn't POST at 100. I was wrong. It did POST but halted on loading ME. It was 124 where it wouldn't POST. Well, that's the next logical step when it won't load at 100, right? :D

When I get the replacement system built for the one that holds that little bugger, I'm going to spend a little time trying to burn it up. I just know it can hit 600. :)

Mine starts at 66Mhz. I have it running at 75Mhz now, but I want it at 83Mhz. My options are...66, 75, 83, 100, and 112. I think i need to bum up the voltage and I have never done this before...along with my mobo does not support it. I do not want to burn it up mainly because I am leaving it for my sister to use when I go off to college. What do you suggest?

Sir-Epix (Jul 27, 2001 12:42 p.m.):

Mine starts at 66Mhz. I have it running at 75Mhz now, but I want it at 83Mhz. My options are...66, 75, 83, 100, and 112. I think i need to bum up the voltage and I have never done this before...along with my mobo does not support it. I do not want to burn it up mainly because I am leaving it for my sister to use when I go off to college. What do you suggest?

I don't have near the experience that most of these other guys have. If you haven't yet, try posting your board model and the same question in the Intel Motherboards section. There may also be a listing for it off the main page somewhere so you can see what someone else has done. Wish I could help, but I'm limited in knowledge to what I've done with just a couple of MBs and what I read here and on other hardware sites.

Just had a thought: Have you checked out SoftFSB yet? If it supports you clock gen, then maybe you could use it to move up to 84 to get away from the high PCI divider. The Motherboards guys also know much more about that than I. :)

Back