• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 NU vs. GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
From what I can tell for the games I primarily play (Halo PC), a 6800 is a nice jump from a 9800 Pro/XT (50%) and the GT is a good 100% faster, but the prices for the GT are prohibitive.

Does anyone have any evidence or speculation as to when GTs might come down to the $300 range or would a 6800 NU be a just fine alternative for someone wishing to migrate from a OC'ed Geforce3 Ti200? :D

If you are patient im sure it will. Simply cuz I got mine for $360 at release. So give it year and it should be down in that range

If you say a year then I'd be better off with a NU. The price/performance ratio for recent cards has been a pretty linear curve. Unless you're going for a Ultra/XT class card you get what you pay for.

I was hoping to upgrade my card by the end of September when school starts. It's looking doubtful to me that GT's will drop far enough before that.

Voodoo Rufus said:
If you say a year then I'd be better off with a NU. The price/performance ratio for recent cards has been a pretty linear curve. Unless you're going for a Ultra/XT class card you get what you pay for.

I was hoping to upgrade my card by the end of September when school starts. It's looking doubtful to me that GT's will drop far enough before that.

It depends on how they price the Ultra-Extreme. However the 6800NU is still a nice card.

the 6800 NU is simple mind blowing with it's price to performance ratio. If you are going to be upgrading from a Geforce3 you will most likely barely believe the card cost only 300 bucks. I would reccomend eVGA, with their stepup program should you be dissatisfied for any reason, just get together some more money and stepup to the GT within 90 days.

I did that and my card will be arriving in a few hours. I did it not because the NU was not performing as I have hoped but rather because this computer needs to last me 2-3 years at the very least. The NU probably would have made me start running games on lower settings (already did on Farcry) next in a few months with new releases like Half Life 2, Doom 3, and s.t.a.l.k.e.r. And I wanted those games to run at max settings since this computer was intended for that and that alone. (if you don't mind a shorter lifespan before your next upgrade, go NU, if you want a longer life span wait for GT to become available at places like newegg for below retail.)

Ah I too have a GeForce 3 and will be buying a 6800NU today... eVGA from Newegg, only $283 and it comes with FarCry.

I don't know. The GT is $100 more, but it's got 4 more pipes and you can overclock it past Ultra speeds. If at all possible, go with the GT. You're already shelling out about $300, what's another hundred? I'm willing to bet that extra $100 will make it last another full year.

If the prices drop far enough I'll consider it, but another hundred is another hundred I can't afford if I want a 74Gb Raptor too. :D

Back