• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi X850XT Platinum Edition or a 7800 GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mikeguava said:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1314994

and that's only the 002 card - not the 003 ... plenty of headroom left with the mem

Rattle - I guess initially you were referring to setting the IQ in catalyst control center to max IQ - which is washing out the picture - but this is like changing LOD on NVidia - which washes everything out even further - depending on how far you take it. Not that is better or worse - all it does is help the benchmarks and hurt the PQ

When everything is high quality on 850 and 7800 - PQ in my point of view is much better with the X850.
Granted when I was running both a 7800GTX and a 850XT next to each other, the NVidia was running on 77.72 drivers which might be worse. But if you look closely on textures you can see them shimmering. Another thing the 7800 does is stutter - extremely in test #3 in 3DMark05. - this is a good example where you can see the shimmering pretty strongly.

Hmm I'll check it out, i figure if it shimmered I'd catch it right away, all I notice is accurate and perfect IQ goodness and colors to die for and not a jaggy in site :shrug:

The shimmering occurs with both cards at the default resolution for some reason. The lighting effects IMO are much more robust with the nVidia 7800GTX as opposed to my x850xt. I love ATI and now I love nVidia because of the SLI. All I do is game and tweak the computer to eek out every extra FPS at my native 1680x1050 res. At this time I can run everything on the highest settings and average over 100 fps on every map. Sure you can play a game with less fps but on fps's that is the difference between the kill or be killed.

I had my doubts about nVidia but I think their drivers are more robust and games that didnt have a widescreen resolution on my x850xt I now have on my GTX's. Is it an improvement for me at 1680x1050? Is the sky blue? Let me tell you the bottleneck I face is my FX-55 @ 2.85-9 Ghz.

mikeguava said:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1314994

and that's only the 002 card - not the 003 ... plenty of headroom left with the mem

Rattle - I guess initially you were referring to setting the IQ in catalyst control center to max IQ - which is washing out the picture - but this is like changing LOD on NVidia - which washes everything out even further - depending on how far you take it. Not that is better or worse - all it does is help the benchmarks and hurt the PQ

When everything is high quality on 850 and 7800 - PQ in my point of view is much better with the X850.
Granted when I was running both a 7800GTX and a 850XT next to each other, the NVidia was running on 77.72 drivers which might be worse. But if you look closely on textures you can see them shimmering. Another thing the 7800 does is stutter - extremely in test #3 in 3DMark05. - this is a good example where you can see the shimmering pretty strongly.

When you push x850's over 700 core they have a studder in Canyon Flight as well. It is the test not the cards.

Viper

Rattle said:
Hmm I'll check it out, i figure if it shimmered I'd catch it right away, all I notice is accurate and perfect IQ goodness and colors to die for and not a jaggy in site :shrug:

If you run lots of AA and AF that tends to mask it. Just use the 78.xx or later drivers as they are a hugh improvement. nVidia says it was from "over optimization" with 7800 lol.

Viper

I currently own a BFG 6800 OC card (vanilla). Unfortunately, I also have a s754 DFI NF3 250GB motherboard. As you may or may not know, there is a well documented "stuttering" issue with 6800 cards combined with the NF3 chipsets. I was recently contemplating upgrading my entire setup to s939 and getting a 7800GT because I have not been able to overcome this "stuttering" problem using any of the recommended drivers, workarounds, etc.

However, after my experiences with Nvidia and their lack of support for this very serious "stuttering" issue I can not buy another Nvidia card in good concience. So, yesterday I placed an order for the Visiontek X850XT PE. I may or may not be taking an I.Q. hit but I would much rather have a functional system.

Needless to say, I will be steering clear of Nvidia products for the forseeable future.

I own the x850xt pe. I bought it because if the AGP slot and my determination to not buy a PCI-e setup till I have no choice. Its a really good card, but those extra 4 pipelines and various other things make it good. I got my card for around 300 bucks so it was a cost issue for me. 7800 gt would be nice, but if you have a PCI-e slot i'd save up for the GTX....

Cool, thx for the info guys! You guys always come through. Im building a system for my friend and he was intrested in these 2 cards. I like ATI for some reason. But I'm going to suggest the Nvida card. He pretty much just needs the system to play Planetside. He's addicted and plays on a laptop. He's going to be so shocked when I show him what a good desktop can do! lol

Back