• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 and 9800 GX2 Mystery Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbski

I've been running Windows 7 64bit Pro for over a year and then the HDD died. I purchased a new HDD 750 WD Black and installed and everything is up and running but now my vid card is not functioning.

I have tried 197 and 25x Nvidia drivers but for some reason it locks up in COD MW2 and just sitting idle in Windows.

I have used DriverSweeper in safe mode and tried installing other iterations of Nvidia drivers and now the darn thing won't boot to normal mode just safe mode.

I have seen many issues with the 9800gx2 and Win 7 but I didn't used to have them at all.

So I am reaching for help before I invest in a newer video card. I don't feel like I need to do right now unless for some reason the GX2 is now dead.

So any direction I could be sent besides off a cliff will be very greatful.

Thanks.

I did a fresh install and after it installed I loaded the 197.45 drivers and it just starts blinking at the starting windows screen. So I guess the card is fried, what a coincidence the HDD and then the vid card.

Oh well, anyone want a big ole paper weight?

That doesn't sound like card. If it's okay until you load drivers....at least. I mean, I'd love to take a free card that I think might work, though. ;)

Try swapping memory, reseating the video card and all it's power connectors.

I tried both PCI-E slots and tried each of my 2 sticks of RAM seperately in each slot and reseated all power. The same thing still happens.

I can go to safe mode all day long but going to normal mode it says "starting windows" and the flying windows start to flicker and then no video and the monitor light goes orange.

So I told XFX and they said try another PC. Yeah I wish I had extra PC's laying around so I could test these out. Oh well...

Take it to a PC repair shop and get them to test it for you either that or you must have friends you have PC's

Back