RAM kits vs single sticks

Got a few questions for you all.

1. Which do you figure is better, to buy a 1GB kit (2x512MB) or a 1GB stick, and why?

Assume this is on a system which is running in single-channel mode and/or does not support dual-channel, and that the RAM is DDR.

2. Which would be better/more stable/run more efficiently, a 1GB kit or a 2GB kit, or would there be any difference at all?

Assume this is on two different systems, one that supports dual-channel and one that does not, and that both systems are compatible with the sticks of RAM that will be in them. Assume once again that the RAM in question is DDR.
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/
    Main Rig: Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced|Power Supply: Corsair HX750W|Cooling: Corsair H100i|Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|CPU: Intel Q6600 SLACR @3.0GHz|RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1066@832.6MHz|Video: Evga GTX 660Ti|HDD: Western Digital 320GB Caviar Blue (OS)+500GB Caviar Black (Storage)|ODD: Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1S|OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Backup Rig: Case: Cooler Master HAF 922|Power Supply: Corsair HX520W|Motherboard: DFI UT LP nF4 SLI-DR Expert|CPU: (varies) A64 3200+ Venice, 3700+ San Diego, 3800+ Venice, 4000+ Clawhammer/San Diego (E4 & E6), A64 X2 4200+, A64 X2 4800+ |RAM: (varies) Corsair XL, XL Pro, OCZ PC4800 Elite Platinum Edition|Video Card: eVGA GTX260|HDD: Hitachi 80GB Sata II Drive|DVD: not sure|OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit/Pro 32-bit
    My Heat

Destroyer of Spammers, Trolls and Cretins

Premium Member #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tweaker View Post
    Got a few questions for you all.

1. Which do you figure is better, to buy a 1GB kit (2x512MB) or a 1GB stick, and why?

Assume this is on a system which is running in single-channel mode and/or does not support dual-channel, and that the RAM is DDR.

2. Which would be better/more stable/run more efficiently, a 1GB kit or a 2GB kit, or would there be any difference at all?

Assume this is on two different systems, one that supports dual-channel and one that does not, and that both systems are compatible with the sticks of RAM that will be in them. Assume once again that the RAM in question is DDR.
    Listing your operating sysem would help.

1. Logically, a single stick on a non-dual channel leaves fewer working parts. But if it fails, then you can't run anything. With two, you can least run your rig until you get a replacement.

2. While I have never benched "kits" vs single non-kit RAMs of the same size, model number, voltage and brand, most anyone experienced will tell you to buy a matched kit pair for dual channel operation.

Memory capacity, 1gb kit (or random pairs) vs. 2 gb kit (or random pairs) depends on the requirements of your operating system and your personal use. Generally with an older computer running XP / XP Pro, 1 GB runs better and faster than 512 kb.

Vista and Win 7 run with 2 GB but 4 GB removes any doubt.

If your RAMs need to be interchangeable between both computers and your not overclocking and are not looking for the last possible bit of speed out of them, then single sticks of the same memory, speed, brand and model number will work too. Dual channel doesn't necessarily require a "kit pair." With that caveat, just make sure all the RAMs are the same brand, speed, size and voltage, if possible, to make interchangibility simpler.
    Intel E8500 @ 3608 MHz...............Intel E7500 @ 3333 MHz Home Server
    DFI DK P45 T2RS Plus.................Same
    WD Velociraptor 150 & WD Raptor 74...Raptor 74 - Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    ATI 5750.............................ATI 6200FX
    Dell Ultra Sharp U2413.............. Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WA
    2 x 2 GB GSkill PC8500 @ DDR2 960....2 x 1 GB GSkill PC8500
    Corsair HX520........................Corsair HX520
    Coolermaster NV 690..................Lian-Li PC-K7
    Vista 64.............................XP Pro
    Experience teaches only the teachable.

Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    Listing your operating system would help.

1. Logically, a single stick on a non-dual channel leaves fewer working parts. But if it fails, then you can't run anything. With two, you can least run your rig until you get a replacement.

2. While I have never benched "kits" vs single non-kit RAMs of the same size, model number, voltage and brand, most anyone experienced will tell you to buy a matched kit pair for dual channel operation.

Memory capacity, 1gb kit (or random pairs) vs. 2 gb kit (or random pairs) depends on the requirements of your operating system and your personal use. Generally with an older computer running XP / XP Pro, 1 GB runs better and faster than 512 kb.

Vista and Win 7 run with 2 GB but 4 GB removes any doubt.

If your RAMs need to be interchangeable between both computers and your not overclocking and are not looking for the last possible bit of speed out of them, then single sticks of the same memory, speed, brand and model number will work too. Dual channel doesn't necessarily require a "kit pair." With that caveat, just make sure all the RAMs are the same brand, speed, size and voltage, if possible, to make interchangeability simpler.
    No OS, this is all theoretical.

But if OS is really that important let's just say its Win XP.

I tell people that too.

Not only does XP run better on 1GB than 512MB, it will struggle like mad to run on 512MB with the most up-to-date patches in place, or so I have seen on my own system.

True, but sometimes even having two sticks with the same specs, voltages, model numbers, etc, may fail to run in dual channel mode if they are running on different PCB's and/or with different IC's.

Didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know I'm afraid.
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/
    Main Rig: Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced|Power Supply: Corsair HX750W|Cooling: Corsair H100i|Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|CPU: Intel Q6600 SLACR @3.0GHz|RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1066@832.6MHz|Video: Evga GTX 660Ti|HDD: Western Digital 320GB Caviar Blue (OS)+500GB Caviar Black (Storage)|ODD: Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1S|OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Backup Rig: Case: Cooler Master HAF 922|Power Supply: Corsair HX520W|Motherboard: DFI UT LP nF4 SLI-DR Expert|CPU: (varies) A64 3200+ Venice, 3700+ San Diego, 3800+ Venice, 4000+ Clawhammer/San Diego (E4 & E6), A64 X2 4200+, A64 X2 4800+ |RAM: (varies) Corsair XL, XL Pro, OCZ PC4800 Elite Platinum Edition|Video Card: eVGA GTX260|HDD: Hitachi 80GB Sata II Drive|DVD: not sure|OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit/Pro 32-bit
    My Heat