• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AWOOGA!! MaxPC are back on our threat list! AWOOGA!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First has anyone tried btrfs? I wonder if that suffers the same fate? I image the slowness of ext4 came when they rolled out that one flush_write patched which killed its performance. It was a needed patch because it was a large issue in the server community. I don't know exactly what the patch did but it made the chance of loosing a write very small compared to what it was before. As a result ext4 write times increased.

I think a front page presence would help the cause a lot. The hard part is getting the team motivated to do some writing. Some of you may remember there was a contest a while back. That turned into one article being written. Overclockers.com gets a lot of traffic, and if we can increase our presence there, we may see our numbers rise. The more awareness we can bring to light, the better. My very good friend AmbientFiction has also recently written a very good setup guide for the front page, I just need to get the time to work on getting it better formatted, since something was lost going from a PM to Wordpress.:bang head

I do also know that Overclockers does have a relationship with some manufacturers, I will see if I can talk with IMOG about seeing if one of them might be willing to sponsor us.:thup:

Also my http://www.dccontests.com site is up. Its primed and ready to go for folding. Its not the prettiest and I'm working on that this weekend but I think my scripts and everything are good to go. I think I might offer a contest up just to test the site out and I'd be willing to offer my XP90-C I just replaced :bday:.

Interestingly, the bigadv ext4 delay doesn't happen if Linux is installed alongside Windows either. Same for Linux running in a VM with a windows host.

Does it actually happen at all anymore (if you're not on an old kernel)? Everything I can find suggests that a situational bypass for the delay was implemented way back in 2.6.30, and backported as far 2.6.28 by some distributions. Since I've only had a delay on one unit, I'm inclined to think that that project is a problem, while ext4 has been long-since fixed...

Interestingly, the bigadv ext4 delay doesn't happen if Linux is installed alongside Windows either. Same for Linux running in a VM with a windows host.

That I can attest! I had no problems with ext4 in VMware on a windows host.
(I have 5200rpm hdd's too LOLz (ran raid before but not now))

There have been threads about this since the debian base Linux distros moved to ext4 as the default FS and there still are. This is the most recent, started in March 2011.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17972

Does it actually happen at all anymore (if you're not on an old kernel)? Everything I can find suggests that a situational bypass for the delay was implemented way back in 2.6.30, and backported as far 2.6.28 by some distributions. Since I've only had a delay on one unit, I'm inclined to think that that project is a problem, while ext4 has been long-since fixed...

And the only posts mentioning kernel version are:

1. Kernel 2.6.38.7 saying a 268x unit was delayed
2. Kernel 2.6.38.7 kernel seems to not have delays (maybe that guy hasn't had many 268x units)

I'm still blaming 268x, because all the other projects aren't having any delays.

Back