• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

enough juice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Currently running the machine in sig. I would like to add another 6970 but dont think the psu I have will support it. So overall do you think the 650tx will handle whats in sig + another 6970, just thought id double check.

video cards max wattage consumption says ~300. or peak
no i wouldnt do it, might work then things could go very badly.

Currently running the machine in sig. I would like to add another 6970 but dont think the psu I have will support it. So overall do you think the 650tx will handle whats in sig + another 6970, just thought id double check.

With overclocking, you're pushing it. Pysogeec hit it pretty good worst case scenario. Good reference for these cards is here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6970/27.html

This list is for the card power consumption, not your whole rig. The max they list per card is 287W so you can double that. If you want to ignore the max power listing of 287W and use the "peak" of 185W each, then yes, your 650 will work depending on overclocks but not with a whole lot of headroom.

Taking the worst possible scenario of stability testing @ full loads is prudent, a good 750W would be a better choice. Of course you're not going to be running Furmark all day but you may want to see what you've got from time to time.

You can always sell your 650 reasonably to offset some cost.

750W should be fine. Conservative TDP is 300W per card and 125W for the CPU, so you're at pretty much 750W. Bigger is never bad though.

power supplies age, it in the book (i dont know if the book is right yet), components in them become less effective , like caps, i have seen that.
if your going to have it for a long time , bigger is going to help the time issue.
I would get the 900 or 1000 styles of very good build quality , unless i was going to toss everything in 2 years anyways.

Back