• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help disassembling ATI Radeon 6950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

colbycheese

Basically I have a ATI Radeon 6950 that i want to take apart so I can paint it. The main things I want to paint are the backplate with the ports on it, the fan and fan shroud, as well as the horizontal lines on the housing. Now im pretty sure i can get the housing off the board to paint the red lines but is there a easy way to remove the fan from everything when i have it apart. It also needs to go back together. I wanted to ask before I take it apart to see if I'm going to run into trouble.

Welcome to OC forums!

Taking apart should be a few screws so it won't be too much trouble. However if you want to take off the heat sink, pay attention to any thermal glue used as they can take out the parts off the board. Also look up the model of your card on Google and see if you can find heat sink removed pictures; that way you won't be in for surprises.

And please do show us pictures of your paint job after!

Now i actually got the top housing off, but before i remove the middle section and heat sink i want to know if i do that if i can remove the fan. Should I be able to put the heatsink back on if i have some thermal paste?

Back