• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dying HDD? What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

So my laptop has been doing some strange things lately and has been showing some signs of a dying hard drive. Once in a while the laptop will go to a black screen with some "HDD not detected" error and when I hit F1 to retry it still says that the HDD is not detected. After doing a hard reset, however, it boots just fine. Also, I've been backing up some data to an external drive the last few days and it has blue screened in the process of transferring data a couple of times. On top of all that, I've been hearing the clicks and screeches of doom once in a while. I have a 7200rpm drive and I've noticed that it gets up to 42C without my cooling pad. When I've got it on the cooling pad it stays around 32C, so I'm wondering if it's just acting funny when it overheats. I ran HD Tune today and it came back with one red block, but it says my drive's health is "OK." The SMART data shows 100 reallocated sectors.

What do you think? Is HDD death immanent or should it be okay for a little while yet? Is it worth running it until it dies as long as I keep my data backed up?

I'd go ahead and order another but would hold off on physical replacement until your issues become too annoying to live with. Also, if it is in your budget, I would be looking at an SSD to replace the HDD. Of course, if I bought an SSD, I'd replace it right away (the speed difference is incredible).

I was looking at getting one of those Seagate XT hybrid drives. Since my laptop only has one internal drive I'd have to get a big SSD to store all of my data and I just can't justify spending that much right now. Those Seagate drives are cheap and look like they provided a decent speed boost too.

Back