• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't laugh to hard..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarrenP

Alright, so am i the only one who thinks that overclocking is overly extremely ridiculously difficult looking? I've never overclocked before, personally, never had a PC that could; And my Mac you can't! So could someone point me in the direction of how i could learn to? Let me just say this though, i'm one of those guys who would likely put the peddle to the metal and gun it... is that what i should do when i finally get my PC together? or where should i start? i have my CPU an Intel Core I7 3770K and my Motherboard is going to be an Asrcok Extreme6. with 32GB of 1866Mhz RAM. I'll mostly be gaming so when i finally get this together, i want to know how to take advantage of my CPU. What kind of cooler will i need? i was thinking a Noctua Dh-14 would that be good for a ridculous overclock? or just a baby step? i could always replace the cooler when one i like comes out right? can someone please point this young learner in the right direction?

-Thanks in advance! :chair: <- that's basically me thinking about overclocking a computer...

Wait... It says for 2XXX Cpu's? not the same i know but will the guide still be the same as if it were my CPU?

The methods are essentially the same for the 2500k/2600k as they are for the 3570k/3770k. The only major difference is the 3*** series generally need less voltage to get the clocks and they have higher temperatures/run a little hotter.

The chips are different designs (Sandy vs Ivy Bridge). While the method is the same, the "quick-set" method in that thread won't work because the max temp and voltages are different on Ivy Bridge.

What cooler do you have for your CPU? Is it the stock Intel one or did you buy an aftermarket cooler?

I haven't bought another cooler yet, but i was thinking of trying the stock cooler to see if it would work? :p

The stock cooler isn't really made for much (if any) overclocking. I would see where you can get with the stock voltage on the CPU, up the multiplier to 40x (for example) and run some tests (prime95/IntelBurnTest) and make sure your temperatures stay in check (for Ivybridge I would say shoot for under 85-90C under load, but others have different numbers). If they are still OK (and no crashes) bump up to 41 and so on.

The ability to OC further definitely rides on having a better cooler than the stock one. (sorry I missed the part in the OP about not having one yet).

For the cooler it will also depend on what your budget is. For around $30-40 a lot recommend the coolermaster hyper212+ evo, from what I still read. Wouldn't hurt to check out the cooling section on these boards to see what is recommended for the different price points/cooling situations.

I don't have a budget :p so the best is better i was planning on an H100I or the Noctua Dh-14 Or the H110? which would you recommend?

Back