• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q: between 7 and 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrkBoot

I'm building a new rig.should I stay with Win7 or go to 8? My new rig is going to be a do everything rig,with hi FPS gaming

Calling 8 crap is a bit extreme. I am not a huge fan of it but if I was upgrading from xp I may a well get 8. I don't see a reason to get it when you have 7 though.

I dual boot both. Really only have 8 to play with and test certain things. 7 is still better IMO. Don't go to 8 if you have 7

If you install Classic Shell freeware then you boot into Windows 7 looking Windows 8. And you *never* have to see anything that makes Windows 8 crap and you get to keep any advantages it has, regardless of if you need them or not.

With Classic Shell freeware, there should be no reason to go with with Windows 7.

Thanks everyone.I have read a lot of posts about Win8. Most people would rather stay on Win7. I figure I'd ask everyone here,I turst your opinions on everything computer:clap:

So, other than my own tinkering, what really has been added outside of the touch interface? Performance gains? Quality if life features? Etc

There are plenty of things that are new. When we go into them, people say 'I don't really need that, therefore I will choose to go with Windows 7' even though Classic Shell turns Windows 8 into Windows 7 while keeping all those features "you don't really need."

If you don't need a Windows 8 feature than that is an argument not to upgrade to Windows 8, not an argument against Windows 8 from scratch, which, with a 30 second install of this
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/
becomes Windows 7-looking Windows 8.

So why go with Windows 8:
1. Classic Shell kills metro in 30 seconds - there goes the only reason I know of for most people NOT TO GO with Windows 8.

2. Whoever inherits your system gets extra three years of Windows updates. Win8 end of life will be longer than Win7.

3. Mostly small stuff such as ability to pause/continue copy-paste operations. Somewhat snappier performance. We can go into what that means, and if we can demonstrate that Windows 8 does boot faster (even if it is only a couple of seconds faster than Windows 7), and we can demonstrate that on a completely equal dual-boot system, people then say "well what's a few seconds, I don't care."

Well then install Windows 7 from scratch and wait an extra second or two for your system to load and be happy like that. The rational question should be "what do I loose by installing Windows 8".

You loose A LOT IF you are not computer literate to install and configure Classic Shell freeware, because Metro is a nightmare and Windows 8 Charms is definitely a nightmare, popping up every time you move your mouse. But Classic Shell kills both (well not kills, disables until you choose to use them), and so if you spend 30 seconds to install Classic Shell, then you gain all the other small things.

Once again, we can go into what RAM and CPU usage advantages are, multi-monitor advantages, future touch screen application advantages, lost of other stuff people say they "don't really need' but why would I go and install Windows 7 from scratch when maybe in the future I may want to check out a Metro App? Classic Shell makes Windows 8 look like Windows 7 and with a simple SHIFT+CLICK on the Start Menu, I get the OPTION (just the option) of Metro. Why give that up, why not have the option if there is no downside?

The downside would be if you abandoned Windows 7 to UPGRADE, do not do that, but from scratch? Go with Windows 8 and if not, then why not? :shrug:

Ok I think I understand what you're saying about upgrading vs from scratch... I think... But you're saying it in a way that's making me think maybe you mean something else.

Do you literally mean if you're already using 7 don't go to 8? Or is there a literal difference between an 8 upgrade and an 8 clean install from scratch?

I think he means it isn't worth upgrading to windows 8 if you already have a working windows 7 installation (thus using the upgrade path) but if you are going to be doing a fresh install of windows anyway you may as well install 8.

Yes, I am agreeing with people who are saying 'do not go with Windows 8' if you already have a working Windows 7 with everything already installed on Windows 7 just like you want it to be: Do not abandon a working Windows 7.

I am not agreeing with people who are against Windows 8 if you are installing from scratch. If you are installing from scratch, go with Windows 8 then immediately install Classic Shell freeware.

Windows 8 is, technically, a better operating system. It's more efficient, and more secure. Metro exists because Microsoft thinks we're all children who need to be distracted with colorful squares. Once you kill metro, it's a lot better. However, as neo stated above, it does have compatibility issues with some games. If you have any favorites (because it mostly applies to older games), do some googling to see if anyone has had problems running them on windows 8.

ClassicShell does a lot of good, gets rid of the nasty Metro, the crap ribbon on "File Explorer" (what was wrong with calling it Windows Explorer?) but it cannot fix the multitude of compatibility issues that Windows 8 has with many games (Metro 2033, for starters...)

I would go with W7.

There are some old hardware/software not supported, and trouble shooting issues (if there are any) can be painfully tedious.
As a replacement for XP Windows 8 can be difficult to impossible (no sound drivers for a 2009 HP Laptop).
It is not a universal replacement for XP.
For a new build, should be acceptable.
Going from WINDOWS 8 to Windows 7 and back often if you have multiple computers can be annoying.
Depends on you, your programs, and use.
Windows 8.1 is supposed to resolve most common complaints.

Maybe some have misunderstood what I was asking. I have my current rig running Win7 (I like it) and the OS will stay with that system. I'm building a new Haswell rig,I just thought it might be something to look into keeping with the hole new theme. I guess I'll have to look into this a little deeper. A few seconds faster boot isn't that big of a deal,I never shut off my computer so....

I would ONLY do a fresh install, everytime I hear of an upgrade my mind goes back to Win95 with the upgrade to 98,man wasn't that a mess. I know the upgrade have come a long way but.....

As in feature,I keep my rig some what plain.

...cannot fix the multitude of compatibility issues that Windows 8 has with many games (Metro 2033, for starters...)

If you have a program that you use and it doesn't work on Windows 8, then that would be a valid reason not to go with Windows 8. The thing with the compatibility issues reported here is that 9 times out of 10, someone would state that X doesn't work on Windows 8. I would highlight the X, in the post above it was Metro 2033, then do a search for "Metro 2033 on Windows 8."

I would then get a hit, suggesting that it was a user issue and what that user should do to fix it, proof: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3024929

So it's rare that search hits would actually prove that something works on Windows 7 but does not work on Windows 8, although it's not impossible, it appears to be rare for major applications/programs.

Any issues with Metro 2033 on Windows 8 will be specific to that user's configuration. I run Metro 2033 on my Windows 8 installation without any issues. I have also had no issues with compatibility on any of the programs/games I use. I would imagine some older programs/games may have issues so if you have any older software I would look into those first.

Back