• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Log: Project Monochrome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
YAY MOAR PARTS!!

well i ordered:
-Bitspower Clear Stop Plug Fitting - G1/4" Bispower with 5mm LED hole
-Bitspower G1/4" Silver Shining Aqua-Pipe I Fitting
-Bitspower Water Tank Z-CAP II - Three Port End Cap Plexi
-molex ATX pin removal tool
-20ft 5/64" ( 2mm ) DarkSide High Density Cable Sleeving -White
- 24-Pin ATX HSL 12" (30cm) DarkSide Single Braid Cable
-Two Bitspower 90 Degree Angle 1/2IN Fitting Brass NICKEL-PLATED
-two Bitspower Dual Rotary 45 Degree Compression Fitting
-twelve black worm drive clamps
-S'MORE white tubing

I'm also going to stop by a local shop called MECCA electronics to pick up Blue LEDS both 3 and 5 mm

i also picked up the VGA support bracket for my case while i was in Vancouver for the weekend.

Mora white. Paint that bottom piece that covers the PSU area pure white too. In the camera shots it's not real white.

And get white cable extenders for the mobo and GPU power connectors.

Coming along nicely!

Painted the cpu hold-down Bracket last night. and the PCI blank outs. Unfortunatly it would seem i forgot to take a picture of the pci blankouts but here are some pics of the cpu block with its shiny new paint job.

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out thanks for the suggestion Conundrum!

picture.php

picture.php

awe yea! my i7 is in as well as my 2 45 deg compression fittings, 2 90 degree barbs and 12 black worm drive clamps have arrived. expect more pictures up later tonight!

i want to delid this ivy and put the cool labs metal TIM in there so bad but i should prolly get at least one solid months worth of use before potentially destroying it.

Sorry for the delay getting any more updates up but ive been waylayed with other duties. this is some required reading i have to do for an upcoming project at my engineering firm. 3 chapters in and i havnt read anything yet that any of us more experience people wouldn't already know. and im sitting here thinking "i wonder how many engineers and speciallists it took to write this"
picture.php

Project Monochrome V2.0

Well after a long (couple year) hiatus. I'm Back and I'm gonna be putting a bit more work into the rig. Its been updated here and there in the meantime.

Monochrome V1.0 was:
I7 3770k(died in a delidding attempt gone wrong)
Asus Sabertooth Z77
xfx 7970 with xspc fullcover block
16gigs corsair vengance @1600mhz

Monochrome V2.0 is currently:
I5 4690K @ 4.7 gHz
Asus MAximus VII Formula
still 16gigs corsair vengance @1600mhz
still have the xfx 7970with the xspc block (it still gets the job done)
at some point last year i got a free MSI lightning R9 280x

Im going to be adding a universal block to the msi card. and taking my first foray into hardtubing cause im tired or plasitcisers leaching out and gunking up my nice clean resivoirs.

sine you last saw this build. I've removed the plexi rad mount and lower shield and replaced them with 1/4" ABS so that i could tap it and runa thread to use as a watercooling passthrough. which has worked really well and cleaned things up significantly. I have also experimented some with cable sleaving. im gonna be cleaning that up with this build update.

in january im thinking about putting in dual 1080s or perhaps waiting till the 11 series cards come out.

System as it stands currently
eJwNx8sNwyAMANBdGAAb83WWqRBBJFVSELinqru37_Y-6j0vtalDZKwNYD9X6XPXS_rMrerWe7tqHufSpd-QRXI57vqSBczk.jpg

Mistakes have been made!

Well i dun goofed.

ordered the wrong size fittings for my hard tube. tube isnt shown here. the block shown is an EK Thermosphere and there is a adapter bracket there for it.

20161129_182219.jpg

Complications arose, ensued, were overcome!

Weeelll the thermosphere doesnt fit over the built in memory/fet cooler of the MSI lighting card.... :rolleyes:figures:facepalm:

20161129_184124.jpg

holding true to my past builds its time to break out the dremel to modify a gpu block... or well in this case the memory cooler. It wound up turning out quite good. then i remembered i have to put plugs in... of course they fell partway in the memory cooler but i was able to gain JUUUST enough room by unbolting the hub with the ports on it and flipping it end for end cause it was offset. see pictures below

Sidenote one of these days i will get a gpu and waterblock that match.... one day...

20161129_194404.jpg 20161129_194359.jpg 20161129_200348.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

for better or worse its on there.... not the prettyests thing when you look at the front of the card but hey thats not normally visable anyhow

20161129_194409.jpg

I just hope those what look to be plastic plugs, don't go melting when temps are pushed around the PCB.

i dont think thats going to be an issue. its hard to see but there is a small gap between the memory cooling plate and the plugs. just big enough to get heavy construction paper through.im going to be monitoring the temperature of that with a 10k thermistor though to be safe.

Back